SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51....3 years worth of data.

RobH

Hello all.

Here’s my latest attempt at M51, my deepest so far.

This is made up of data gathered over this spring (2012) and, for the halo, all of my 2009 and 2010 luminance data combined with the 2012 data.

The 2012 subs were captured at Lucksall during SGL7,and in my observatory in Weymouth using Ian King’s IKI/Astrophad 10 inch Ritchey Chretein, with luminance taken with a Starlight Xpresss H18 and an M25C OSC camera for colour.

The earlier luminance and Ha data was captured from home with a TMB152 and Atik 16HR.

I was very impressed with the RC, which was loaned to me while my 12 inch prototype was having a few teething troubles ironed out, and I’m taking delivery of this next week, and plan to use it in combination with the H18 binned 2x2 (seeing conditions mean that there will be no loss of resolution doing this, but a significant increase in sensitivity) and a 0.67x focal reducer, bringing the scope’s native F8 down to a much faster F5.3.

I’ve resisted the temptation to push the Ha regions, and have tried to go for a ‘natural’ (to my eye) look to the image.

I think I’ve reached the limit of what can be achieved on the halo from my site due to background skyglow....if I want to go deeper, then I need a darker site I suspect.

Imaging times were; Luminance (2012). 19hrs 15 minutes in 10 and 15 minute subs binned 2x2

RGB. (2012) 10hrs in 10 minute subs

Total luminance. 47 hrs 12 minutes

H a. 110 minutes

Total imaging time. 59 hrs 12 minutes.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rob

gallery_1757_60_2116441.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words everyone :smiley:

This has been an age in the processing department....I've been doing a bit, then shelving it for several weeks and starting up again in order to see it freshly every time, as I do tend to miss some obvious errors at times when I have an intensive processing session....very easy to do!

@U235.....yes, work permitting, I'll be at SGL8 and will be bringing the 12 inch RC I think.

Cheers

Rob

Wow thats about on par with the M51 which was the overall winner of the Astrophotographer of the year award 2012! beautiful picture Rob!

I've just looked at the two side by side and I think your version looks more natural:)

Wow, so beautiful, I'm just looking for a tracking mount so I can have a go at some astrophotography and that is a real inspiration to get one bought and get out with camera. Absolutely stunning you must be absolutely delighted every time you look at it :kiss:

Archived