Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet ISON

andrew63

Its possible that this could turn out to be the astro event of all our lifetimes- a truly once in a lifetime event (equally it could be another huge disappointment I'm fully aware) - is there any update on the progression of Panstarrs yet - we are moving into a 6 month time frame with this comet so presumably much more reliable data should be available.

Just thought of something, ison is predicted to be as much as magnitude minus 16, although obviously not the same size as the moon is this likely to wash the skies out for a short period of time? A price well worth paying if it comes off none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought of something, ison is predicted to be as much as magnitude minus 16, although obviously not the same size as the moon is this likely to wash the skies out for a short period of time? A price well worth paying if it comes off none the less.

It could me much larger than the moon... I suppose if it does indeed reach that brightness, then yes, it will wash the skies out! However, it'll be close to the Sun when at its brightest so should set soon afterwards (or rise just before).

Archived