Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Cannock Chase

Rustmonkey

Is a visit to the Chase worth the effort?

I live in one of the villages to the east of Stafford and the glow from Stafford and Rugely is pretty bad.

I've always assumed lugging my equipment to the Chase really wouldn't gain me a lot in terms of sky quality.

Having said that the view to the south from my back garden is restricted by the house behind so if there's a safe car park I can setup that would be worthwhile.

I have visited Cannock Chase many times during the day and have also cycled there at night. It is a beautiful place. Does anyone know of any good and safe places to observe, away from members of the kennel club and the people who enjoy illegal off-roading with their cars and motorbikes? I guess this rules out all of the car parks.

I have considered parking and walking to some of the more remote hilltops, but that would mean taking only my portable setup and I wouldn't want to walk too far with that.

I visited the aspen Car park which for those that know is just down from the German Cemetary. Yes...it gets visitation's from the Doggers but a small group would probably put them off where as being alone can be quite intimidating. I actually thought that from that location the sky was pretty good. I also have another site that I know is secure between Lichfield and Tamworth but that would only be if I could get permission.

if I can eventually start the new group then maybe between us we can do some homework and come up with a suitable, safe location to work from.

There is a large, flat concrete area not far from the visitor centre. I guess there used to be buildings there once. It is only a very short walk from a car park. Maybe a good spot for a group visit, but again not somewhere I would want to go on my own.

We are looking for site with LP less than we get in the towns not really a very dark site

Aspen CP is good, Glacial boulder is ok but on road. but there must be good locations somewhere on the Chase, what about contacting Forestry Commission & Staffs county council, they are the landowners and if we could convince them its a positive nightime use they might be quite supportive

Yes a group of us together with scopes and cameras would be essential for safety I think

Looks good. Might be worth a recce.

i have today sent an Email to my local Councillor...... Partly regarding Light Pollution Initiatives and partly about the ongoing issue of Doggers and undesirables on Cannock Chase. I have explained that I am trying to put together an observers group and have put forward an idea that if they have any closed access sites available, that would be of benefit to us that it would be appreciated if we could be given some sort of access with which to make use of them. If ya don't ask!!!!!

I think it would be a good spot as long as there's no undesirables around. Quite likely they avoid that field as it's close to the road.

It's at pretty much the highest point on the Chase as far as I can remember and the trees won't be a problem for all but the lowest of objects.

Yes, I use EQMod, once you've tried it you wouldn't go back to the handset.

Only problem I would have with taking my kit to a remote site is I don't have power for the laptop beyond it's battery.

The battery I bought for the mount might be inadequate as well! Haven't used in the 12 months since I got my scope.

It's not ideal being next to the road but I can't imagine it's busy at night. I really don't know though, only been up there in the day time!

I would have thought any objects low enough to be obscured by the tress would be lost in LP anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Sometime ago I had the idea of getting www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk accreditation for somewhere on the Chase, look at the requirements and I think we should be able to get something going, I talked to the ANOB people once but they do not want to encourage anyone to use the chase so the County Council and the Forrestry Commission may be the way to go as they are the landowners and may well have some polices to help us, I was thinking of help from the ranger service of the County Council to find a suitable location.... all ideas welcome

Archived