Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

data sets available to download from Hubble?

dr_robot

I'm having a look at the dataset of the Eagle Nebula http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/eagledata/ it's pretty cool. There is a PSD format provided of the combined narrowband data and you can see what adjustments they have done to the image to do the combine. It's quite interesting how they have done their RGB imo.

I'm having a look at the dataset of the Eagle Nebula http://www.spacetele...ator/eagledata/ it's pretty cool. There is a PSD format provided of the combined narrowband data and you can see what adjustments they have done to the image to do the combine. It's quite interesting how they have done their RGB imo.

yeah, if you remove the layers you can try and emulate their processing, great way to practice and the Eagle Nebula was the first one I tried out too. Their archive looks interesting as these files haven't been processed yet and you may discover some previously unseen and beautiful images!

Think they opened them up a while back, just not too much was said. Recall they had a sort of competition where they made older data sets available and said Go enjoy yourself, and if you produce anything you think as good let us know.

One person, from Poland I think, did a brilliant job on the Orion Nebula. They were so impressed they gave him a flight to NASA, a 2 week vist with hotel accomodation and the lot.

Will say it was a very good piece of work that was done on it, had it as a background on the machine at work for some time.

Can I foresee the time when imagers no longer take images but access the data sets opened up to the public ? :eek: :eek:

Cannot locate it anywhere, as it wasn't strictly a Hubble picture I cannot recall where I saw it, maybe BBC or Yahoo but 2 or 3 years back.

From what I did read through would I be correct in saying that they hold, or do, this every year?

One of what I saw said:

Hubble Telescope's Hidden Photo Treasures: 2012 Winners Gallery

If there is a 2012 Winner then I would half guess they open up the data every year and let people have access.

From what little I recall the image I saw may have been from the first time they made the data accessible as the write up was something like this image had been "lost" in the library of a few years.

Have to say the Orion image produced was very good.

Think it took a few by surprise.

Archived