Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep8_banner.thumb.jpg.7fc4114c7705b14c0786cf342cea1f9c.jpg

DiamondSmiles

Planets on view in evening sky

Can anyone tell me which of the major planets will be on view in the evening sky over the next 6 months.

I take it Jupiter will soon be up at a decent time to view and that Neptune and Uranus are in view now, but what about Mars and Saturn?

Cheers

Ian

You can see Venus in the morning for the next month or so and you will be able to see Saturn in the morning around January.

I don't think Venus, Saturn, or Mars will be visble in the evenings in the next 6 months.

Saturn should be rising around 9pm by late March next year. Getting better from then on. If you stay up late, you'll catch it before then of course

Stu

Download Stellarium, Diamondsmiles and you'll be able to play around with what can be seen at what time and date etc. It's also an excellent program to plan your evening's session.

No Mars until 2014! but Jupiter, Neptune and Uranus are all around now and Saturn is back with us early next year. (Shameless plug:) My website lists the planets on view each month.

Or just visit Your Sky and print out a skymap for your coordinates at a time of your choice. Print black on white or you will use a whole load of black ink.

Venus comes up around 3am I believe. mercury is tricky to see at the best of times and at the moment is even trickier. The others are all covered above. I managed to find both Uranus and Neptune in my 10x50 bins recently. Get yourself a good map (such as Stellarium mentioned above or Skycharts) as this will help you to identify the planets from the field stars.