Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda!

Tom2012

Hi Qualia, at f10 that must be challenging to fit too much of it in the fov, what ep do you use and what is your focal length?

The difference in surface brightness is huge. Jupiter is -2.9 max, size of 50 arc seconds max. Andromeda mag 3.5 ish (IIRC), size around 190 x 60 arc minutes.

Stu

My 8" F10 fits 1.34 deg of sky at its widest, and I can get the central region, and both M110 and M32 in one FOV (just!). A 4" F/10 with a Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm you should get 1.5 deg at 40x (with the 60 deg FOV of the X-Cel-LX, a 68 deg EP would get 1.7 deg true FOV). With an Aero 40mm you should be able to get 2.72 deg at 25x. Getting 2" EPs REALLY helps.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul, the lights and darks were 120 secs each. I think I registered about 16 of each, but then only chose the ten lights with the highest score. The stars were not pin sharp, probably due to periodic errors in the tracking or not perfect PA, but they turned out ok when stacked.

i actually took 25 at 120secs and 25 at 90secs, but The 120's produced a better picture. I wish I had set the right aperture as it may have been better.

It took me a few days to get to this pic as my astro pp is not up to speed yet, but after reading a few other topics in the imaging forums etc, I gathered enough info to help me process it this far. There may be more data to be extracted by more capable folks on herem but this is the best I could do for the moment.

Archived