Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horse Head region

Starman

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Trev, that's right, the HH is very faint indeed. I believe an H-beta filter will show it but you'll still need a reasonable aperture. I nearly got it visually with a 10" f/4.6 reflector once. I could see the flame (the bright patch of nebulosity close to the star Alnitak) easily and a hint at IC434, the bright curtain which lies behind the horse's head, but I couldn't make out the silhouette itself.

As a reference, the two brightest stars on view in this image are Alnitak (near the Flame) and Alnilam (near the top) which are the two left most stars in Orion's belt.

Boy, I opened a can of worms with the orientation comment, eh? :wink:

I've attempted the HH visually in apertures of 10", 12", 14", 16", 17", 18", 20", 24", 28" and 32" and a couple oddballs. Fast scopes of F/2.3 to F/4, slow scopes from F/8 to F/12. Filters of OIII, (don't ask why, ask "why not?"), HBeta, UHC, photometric V, R, and I. From altitudes of 1400' to 8000'. The Flame looks like the full Moon by comparison. I've never seen the HH visually. Hints of IC434 as Pete mentions, but no sign of the HH itself. I've all but given up. :shock: None of the owners of the aforementioned scopes have seen it either, and some of them have "seen it all", if you know what I mean.

Thanks again Pete for that wonderful image. And orientation. ;)

Nice shot , Pete. You have captured an amazing amount of detail.

Will have a go a this myself a bit later in the year ( er - I must be one of the lazy astronomers on this site)

It will be interesting to see what I can capture at F4.8 with my 130mm APO.

John

Archived