SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote focusing of Moonlite via laptop using Mount Hub Pro

Hi,

I have connected my Moonlite stepper motor to MHP using a serial cable, although I can adjust the focuser using the hand control supplied with MHP, I can't achieve remote operation from the MHP window on my laptop. I've spend hours downloading drivers and latest updates from Hi-Tech, Moonlite and ASCOM, but nothing seems to work. Can anyone put me out of my misery? I'm running Windows 7 and wondered if the problem lies somewhere with MHP not being designated a Com port, or perhaps the Moonlite needs a serial to USB connection between it and MHP? If you successfully operate a similar set-up I'd love to hear how you do it!

All the best, Herrman

I'd expect that you would connect your focuser control program directly to the Moonlite focuser controller through the ASCOM driver without using Mount Hub Pro.

But from a quick look it seems that MHP connects directly to the Moonlite stepper without going through any other driver, in which case if it isn't behaving as you expect your best bet is to talk to the Hitech Astro people.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply.

I did try operating the focuser using the Moonlite software, but this couldn't detect the focuser (no com port); I suspect that somehow the problem's caused by the focuser being wired to MHP, which in turn connects to the laptop via USB. I wanted to try connecting the focuser to MHP by USB (just like I do with the mount and camera), but I didn't have the appropriate USB/serial adaptor. I'll get one today and see what happens, although as always when I'm not sure what I'm doing, I'll worry that I'll cause some damage.

I will take up your advice and contact Hi-Tech, I'll let you know how things progress.

Thanks again, Herrman

Archived