Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connecting telescope to Laptop

Hi,

I'm brand new to Astronomy and i need some help, I've recently bought a Sky-Watcher Skymax- 102 (AZ) SynScan goto Maksutov Cassegrain telescope and i would like to view through my laptop.

So firstly how do i go about this, what equipment do i need, and where can i buy this equipment from cheaply?

Thanks Stano123

Buy a cheap webcam, several are mentioned in the cameras section. Connect webcam to laptop and run Sharpcap to view the image.

Webcam will cost depending on make model plus you will need to buy the matching nosepiece and if you remove the IR Filter from the camera then you will need to buy a IR/UV Cut filter. MorganComputers used to sell these but I think they have sold out.

Sharpcap is free. Search google for Sharpcap.

You do need to understand that in most cases what you see through the eyepiece won't be the same as the picture you get from the camera. Cameras and eyes plus brain don't work the same as a general rule. A webcam generally won't be sensitive enough to get a decent image of much but the brighter planets, the sun and moon. Cameras that can show fainter objects are generally not going to come cheap.

There are SGL users who do in the main observe using a camera and computer I believe, but if that's your goal then reposting with a more relevant title might be more likely to get their attention. If you have something else in mind however, please do expand a bit on your goals.

James

To do what I presume you're after is going to require some quite elaborate equipment including a much large scope with a fast focal ratio (eg 8" to 10" at circa f-5), a totally different mount (eg a very accurate equatorial "goto" mount like the NEQ6) and some pretty expensive camera gear (eg Minitron or Watec). A typical setup allowing video imaging of dso's would cost over £2000.

With your alt/az mount and 4" Mak the approach I'd try is some video imaging of solar system objects (moon, saturn, jupiter etc) which takes a fair bit of skill - anything else will be impractical because of star trailing, the long focal length and slow f-ratio of your scope, and aperture limitations.

There's more to imaging than one would think - but you can achieve good results on planets/moon with a webcam. You'll need Registax free stacking software, and a video capture program like APT, Sharpcap, or WxAstroCature (which are all dirt cheap or free). :)

Archived