1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

694 CCD, Atik or SX

Cordulegaster

Just about to take the plunge on DSO imaging system. CCD, OAG, FW. have decided on Sony 694 CCD. Should i go with ATIK or Starlight Xpress? Is there merit in buying all from the same brand? One factor that may be important is Mac compatibility. I am bilingual but we are predominantly a Mac household and I have a spare Macbook. Plan to use nebulosity. From the posts I have reviewed, people seem happy with whatever they have bought so I am tilting towards SX as they are based not far from Maidenhead but would prefer to decide on the basis of technology!

Glyn

I bought the Atik for a number of reasons...some of which are:

- has a replaceable dessicant (SX does not)

- cheaper than SX

- from the people that I've talked to, they suggested Atik - but that could be based on personal preference

Here are the pictures that I managed to take with my 460EXm so far : http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=9967669@N08&q=ATik

The camera can reach a max delta of -30C even though the manufacturer specifies 25...

I have no idea what to say about compatibility with a mac...but I suppose it should be ok.

I can't speak highly enough of SX and I'm delighted with my sxvr-h694.

You don't have to stick with FW/OAG/camera from the same manufacturer, but you can be sure it all fits together well if you do, and they can probably also give you the exact backfocus distance.

So far as the actual images go, I doubt there's anything in it. The deciders seem to be down to personal preference, the slightly cheaper Atik (though it's only ~£100 on a £2k camera - I'm sure any dealer would accommodate you there :wink: if you ask nicely) and the peripheral features like the desiccant or the CCD angle adjuster.

Personally I've always plumbed for SX, due to the superb support they have, though I've never needed it. Their Yahoo group is also a very handy resource.

For me, the price difference (without VAT) was 2038 EUR for the Atik vs 2308 EUR for the SX.

However you put it, 270 euros is quite a bit of money...even if it's on a 2K camera.

Also, I specifically didn't like SX's instructions to deal with condensation:

"Dealing with condensation:

The SXVR-H694 is designed to avoid condensation by minimising the volume of air

trapped within the CCD cavity and by preventing moisture ingress. This normally

works very well, but storage of the camera in a humid location can lead to the trapped

air becoming moist by diffusion through the optical window mounting thread etc. and

can result in condensation on the CCD window. If this becomes a problem, try storing

the camera in a warm, dry place, or in a plastic lunch box containing a sachet of silica

gel desiccant. If this is not effective, try opening the main barrel and loosening the

stand-offs to allow a gap to form between the heat sink and the front barrel assembly.

Now put the camera into a desiccator box (as above) or leave it in a warm place for

several hours before re-sealing it.

N.B. DO NOT leave the camera switched on for long periods between uses. The

cold CCD will collect ice by slow diffusion through any small leaks and this will

become corrosive water on the cooler and CCD pins when the power is removed. If

substantial amounts of moisture are seen, dismantle the camera and dry it

thoroughly."

I may be exaggerating, but the NB is especially worrying.

ATIK's desiccant should prevent this...

For me, the price difference (without VAT) was 2038 EUR for the Atik vs 2308 EUR for the SX.

However you put it, 270 euros is quite a bit of money...even if it's on a 2K camera.

Yikes, sounds like the Swiss dealer really doesn't want to sell any SX cameras.

However, there are return flights Geneva-Manchester for £50 and at least 1 retailer in Manchester sells SX cameras. Though it sounds like you've already decided. For what it's worth, I recall seeing that warning on SX cameras going back to the days of parallel port interfaces. I've never had any issues like that, myself.

Hope you enjoy your new camera.

My experience is that Atik are ahead. I use both and support from both firms is excellent but I find Atik more convincing. For instance, the SX website does not warn you that the H36 cannot be used successfully in Bin2 and it makes the optimistic claim that it may not need darks for brighter DSOs. Well, sorry, but... Also the Atik 4000 easily outcools the H36 (by as much as 8 degrees on the same night) despite the fact that the H36 has been back for more cooling and has an extra fan. The trouble is that, even running the business that I do, one's sample is small but I speak as I find.

Olly

Yikes, sounds like the Swiss dealer really doesn't want to sell any SX cameras.

However, there are return flights Geneva-Manchester for £50 and at least 1 retailer in Manchester sells SX cameras. Though it sounds like you've already decided. For what it's worth, I recall seeing that warning on SX cameras going back to the days of parallel port interfaces. I've never had any issues like that, myself.

Hope you enjoy your new camera.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I have not found any Swiss dealers that had the camera in stock.

The quoted price above was given directly by Starlight Xpress (around 1830GBP VAT free).

I had previously bought several items from them (Lodestar guider, FW, OAG) and knew that they had lower prices than their re-sellers.

I ended up buying the Atik in France VAT free and just paying the Swiss VAT (which is just 8%).

Best,

V