Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

robbie c

Do I take my bins with me or not

Hi everybody I'm off to Egypt on Monday for my daughters wedding and really want to take my bins with me, I know the skies are very good out there as I'v been before but did not have any bins then and since the date for her wedding was made I thought great this time I can take them with me. But as the date has got closer I'v been having second thoughts as I know what the security out there is like so was just wondering what any of you think I should do would you risk it yes or no :undecided:

I don't know what the security is like in Egypt specifically, but I've taken my 10x56s on the plane (in hand luggage) to St Lucia and Tenerife and didn't have a problem with either.

I've heard that you can get into trouble in Greece, if they think you're spying on their military bases, or security forces - I guess this is what you're more concerned about? Personally I would take them, but only use them where it is obvious that I was using them for recreational purposes That's just the personal opinion of someone who has never been to Egypt, of course :)

Take them. useful for general use on the days out anyway.

Shouldn't be any problem as binoculars are not exactly unusual for tourists/visitors to take and use.

Just don't make any "humerous" comments when you go in like "Going to use them to watch the Syrian rebels/Israeli boarder." They don't count that as funny, they do count it as a 100% reason to detain you. And yes I have heard stupid remarks like that at places, one couple in Bali tried to be "funny", marched away and questioned until after their plane had departed.

I would take them for sure. And I talk from experience as I went on a week cruise down the Nile a year ago and never took my bins with me, only to wish I did as the skies were lovely and dark all night with only the boats lights to spoil the views. I spent a good hour each night standing at the rear of the boat looking up, thinking I wish I had my small bino's with me. I never noticed a security problem at all other than being hounded if you walk close to someones shop or market stall. Take them, I would.

• Like 1

I take your point Capricorn and as we are in Taba which is right on the Israeli border (Eilat) and Jordan just across the sea that was my concern

Definitely take them, you'll kick yourself if you don't. Good advice from others, just be sensible about where you observe and I'm sure you won't have problems.

I took a small scope with me to Sharm, which I know is a different part and probably less sensitive but had no problems.

Stu

No doubt, take them with you. You will see constellations at different angles and also new constellations that you won't see from your home. Queue jawdropping experiences seeing previously unseen objects. :D

Too true. I saw Omega Centauri from Egypt, and constellations like Sagittarius will be higher in the sky down there, plenty to see.

Stu

I am sitting in my hotel room in Muscat in Oman right now with my 4" Apo refractor. I had no issues leaving the UK, but did get a few questions at Muscat International Airport (scanned all bags including carry on when we arrived). They seemed more concerned that is was business related. As soon as security realised it wasn't, and actually was my hobby (after a quick look at the scope). I was on my way. Hopefully when I leave in 10 days, it will be just as easy.

I am sure you will regret it, if you leave the binoculars at home.

• Like 1

Take a planishere or similar with you too so Security can have a better idea of what you are up to with the bins.

When I took my bins to Singapore, the bag screeners originally thought I was a birdwatcher, so I felt the need to explain myself by showing my equatorial planishere and pointing up at the sky :grin:

Edited by Woking

Take a planishere or similar with you too so Security can have a better idea of what you are up to with the bins.

When I took my bins to Singapore, the bag screeners originally thought I was a birdwatcher, so I felt the need to explain myself by showing my equatorial planishere and pointing up at the sky :grin:

good idea I didn't think about dong that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually take my travel binos everywhere, you never know when you'll find a good patch of clear sky to while away an hour or two.

My brother in law went to Egypt this year and took my bins. He said it was definately worth taking them (althought they came back covered in sunscreen) !!!

I always carry a small monocular (25x9) that comes in handy. The planisphere is a good idea as it will help to explain your intent. Egypt is a great country and if you find the time the skies can be breathtaking.

Enjoy the wedding too, lol.

Take them. If you don't you'll only regret it when you find you have clear skies.

Interested in one of the comments here. Apologies for the short hijack...

I am sitting in my hotel room in Muscat in Oman right now with my 4" Apo refractor. I had no issues leaving the UK, but did get a few questions at Muscat International Airport (scanned all bags including carry on when we arrived).

I'm planning a trip to Oman and intend to take my 15x50 bins in my carry on. Was only slightly concerned I might seem like a security risk but reasonably easy to demonstrate my interest is astronomy.

So, good skies in Oman?

What's it like around Muscat? I'm guessing there's a bit of LP to deal with in certain directions. We should be staying at a beach hotel so I guess if I get down on the beach it's going to be clear out over the Gulf.

I'm also hoping to get out to one of the desert camps who have replied to an email to say they have scopes to borrow.

Take them - you will be able to see well into the southern hemisphere. Tourists are all festooned with cameras, binos and long lenses anyway. The Egyptians are very protective of their tourists, it is way their biggest industry, the tourist police will look after you, as always.

• Like 1

Take them, without a doubt.

Egypt has some wonderful dark skies and they do regular stargazing trips. (I'm still miffed i had to had to pull out and lose my deposit when I went, thanks to the trots.) :lipsrsealed:

Take them, and not just for the sky. You can use them in cities on the architecure, inside great public buildings, for reading distant road signs etc etc. Even when cycle touring, where every ounce counts, I took small bins all over the world. Essential kit!

Olly

If you do not take them, you will regret it, just make sure you have enough paraphernalia on Astronomy with you to prove a point should you ever need to, but many people carry small bins on holiday to view other than stars, as Olly has pointed out. One thing you maybe can rely on though, it won`t be raining, enjoy your time there :)

John.