Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera Configuration & USB Port Question

brympton

I am slowly piecing together all the bits required for imaging and could do with some connectivity advice. Firstly, just how many connections are linvolved. The cameras I have shortlisted are an QHY5 guider (which has USB and ST4 outputs) and a QHY8. I am assuming that the QHY5 will provide the guide image and control the EQ6 (via ST4). If this is the case then two USB cables should be all I need e.g. one from each camera to the laptop?

As the laptop does not have USB 2 ports (only USB 1.1) I intend to add a PCMCIA card with USB 2 ports. I do not know the power requirements of the USB cameras If they are low voltage then a powered PCMCIA adaptor card should be fine, alternatively, if they require more power I can add a lead from one of the USB 1.1 ports to the PCMCIA card to give 5v, If that is still is not enough then an exteral power supply could be added to the card instead of using the 1.1 socket.

Jeeees this is geting confusing ;)

The QHY8 is a power hungry beast... it requires 12V 6A *continuous* and will require a seperate regulated 12V power supply to feed it. The USB lead is only for data and control, and supplies no power to the fan or the TEC cooling.

Thanks SteveL, Ok so that answers the QHY8 requirements...sort of...Ideally I will be close enough to a mains power socket to use a transformer. If not do you think my Celestron Powertank 17ah could supply this and the EQ6 albeit for a shorter amount of time?

I think running just the QHY8 off a 17Ah power tank would kill it in 2 hours or less. If you are buying a QHY8 from a supplier, ask them what they recommend, and ask if they can supply you with a power supply and the correct lead to connect to the QHY8. I had to buy a Maplin 10A bench power supply and knock up my own cable for my QHY8.

The other thing to check is if the guide camera will support the EQ6 ST4 port. Many don't and you have to go through (either) the handset or something like the shoestring USB converter.

I have (just!) successfuly used PHD with a USB-SERIAL connector and the serial lead to the handset -using ASCOM drivers set as a Celestron Nextstar 8i (IIRC).

The QHY8 power splitter box is marked 6A but I decided to check the actual consumption and was pleasantly surprised to find that it took just 3A initially which then reduced to 2.5A :wink:

Not quite as scary as I expected but still a fair bit to take from a PowerTank. I then tested my 3.5A mains supply with it for a while and nothing untoward happened ;)

The QHY5 takes it's power from the PC USB port, but won't take much, it has an ST4 port so in total you'll need 2 x USB2 ports/cables then an autoguide cable from the QHY5 to the mount.

bern

Archived