Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

observing possibility tonight

sunshine185

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, same goes...over the hills from you in Leeds and been eyeing up that prediction for tonight for the last few days. At the moment the alarm is set for 2am but will hit 'refresh' every hour or so between now and bed time to see if they're going to change their minds!

Agreed, just spotted the forecast for Preston :), looking almost too good, clear skies from 11 til dawn, good vis, low wind, Saturday to recover from all nighter......

There I was looking out of the office window at the rain and grey skies, quietly sat there at Defcon 5 (no chance) for astro possibility, then a quick check on bbc and sat24 and bam, Defcon 1 ( astro imminent), naturally non of my batteries are charged, I don't finish work until 8.30 and haven't approached the subject of me being absent for the evening to my heavily pregnant other half who no doubt has a lovely evening planned :0.

Keith

Oh now you've got my hopes up!.. Weathers been so rubbish lately that getting out with scope has just not been on my mind at all.

I've never seen Jupiter and so far this year have not been up late enough for it. Sounds like tonight could be perfect oppertunity.

Getting cold now mind, will have to get the warm jackets on tonight if its clear I'm thinking.

* Fingers crossed *

Ha ha, yes I've been mentally working on the 'things to do' list in preparation. Charge power tank and dig woolly hat/big coat out of cupboard are 1 and 2! Great to not have to worry about work in the morning. It's hard work chasing Jupiter in the week, so clear Friday nights are like gold dust!

Main challenges for me will be tonight will be to:

1) Try the webcam through the 3x barlow for the first time

2) Try and capture enough Jupiter footage (probably with the 2x barlow) to create a small animation :happy3:

3) Keep the dew at bay - it's been terrible the last couple of times i've been out so I need to find something I can use as a makeshift dew shield!

4) Photograph the massive hedgehog that often appears and keeps me company when I'm up early star gazing! :grin:

Hope you all have a good night! :icon_salut:

Ummmm. The forecast doesn't appear to show a clear sky here until midnight, by which time I will be too tired (it's been a hard week at work!), so I can't forsee my bothering with that.

However I am toying with the idea of getting up at 3:30 and setting up, so I'm out from 4am-6am to catch Orion and Jupiter etc when they're in a good position for me, and then going back to bed when the sun comes up!

I'm not sure at 3:30 that I will want to get out of bed though, so my master plan may not work! :D

Ha ha, yes I've been mentally working on the 'things to do' list in preparation. Charge power tank and dig woolly hat/big coat out of cupboard are 1 and 2! Great to not have to worry about work in the morning. It's hard work chasing Jupiter in the week, so clear Friday nights are like gold dust!

Main challenges for me will be tonight will be to:

1) Try the webcam through the 3x barlow for the first time

2) Try and capture enough Jupiter footage (probably with the 2x barlow) to create a small animation :happy3:

3) Keep the dew at bay - it's been terrible the last couple of times i've been out so I need to find something I can use as a makeshift dew shield!

4) Photograph the massive hedgehog that often appears and keeps me company when I'm up early star gazing! :grin:

Hope you all have a good night! :icon_salut:

Delboy, you have got to post that picture of the hedgehog if you manage to get a snap.

I'm torn between setting my alarm for around 3am to get up and stand outside in the cold for a few hours, or go round to my brothers house and drink alcohol (in the warmth) untill around 3am!

D.C

im dud in work at 6am tomorrow but my guider has just cam back so theres no way im missing this forecast i will get a few hours zzzz'ds before 11 and then roll the roof off hopefully get 4hours in then ride to work and suffer a gruling 12 hour shift :mad:

Lol last time I got out with scope I put it out in garden to cool for a bit came in fell asleep on couch, woke up at about 3 or 4am and scope binocs and all my eyepieces where outside drenched in dew.

Was completely raging, missed a rare clear night and had to spend ages drying a cleaning all my stuff!

Lol @ the hedgehog! Maybe it wants a look through your scope lol.

Going for a big late one tonight ! got 3 batteries for me camera charged up ready, everything cleaned up and raring to go, problem is I've got to lay off the booze bargains I bought today or everything might end up a bit blurry !

Have a top night all

I was planning on attending an observing session tonight in the same place where the star party was last week. My niece rang me and asked if she can stay the weekend.

Bang goes the observing session from dark skies.

I would take her but she would get bored quick and its pretty chilly outside tonight.

Last week i caught glimpses and a few longer views of the sky between clouds at the dark sky location and i was overwhelmed by just how many stars i could see and how bright they were.

I've never really been to a dark sky location before with the sole intention of observing.

Truely amazing.

Hope you guys who did get out saw the fireball, I managed to catch the last 10 seconds, incredible, and what are the chances of that, probably the clearest night I have seen in weeks and this possibly once in a lifetime event happens, well chuffed :)

Currently imaging the Elephants trunk, will post pics in few days.

Keith

Archived