Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

gazza666

Webcam Help Please

I have bought a cheap webcam just to play with the front has a lense that you screw in or out to get the focus

I have unscrewed the lense and can see the cmos or ccd chip

but It will not focus on anything now

so can somebody tell me when you remove the lense and convert it using an adaptor and all you see is the cmos or ccd chip with no lense

how the hell does it focus whe it is inserted in you finder scope

What type of finderscope do you have? Reason I ask is that on the 9x50 you have to take the front lens off, then the retaining ring, put the front lens back on without the retaining ring and screw it fully in, once in turn back out till you get focus. If you have another type of finderscope I cannot help except to try turning the front lens to gain focus.

Jim

I have a skywatcher 9x50 scope thanks

so you are saying you use the fiderscope lene to get the focus

because you have took the original lens off the webcam

Are you using wanting to use it for imaging?

If so, when you add a nosepiece and pop it in your scope, this will bring it into focus.

TheThing

There are two adapters for attaching cameras to a SW 9 x 50 finder. Both involve the removal of the rear eyepiece section and screw directly into the barrel of he finder. Focus is then achieved by screwing / unscrewing the objective lens holder to move the lens's focal point so it falls on the cameras sensor.

Thing, yes he is but if you read he is using a 9x50 finderscope and want info on that.

Jim

Whoops! Read that as scope. :wacko:

TheThing

Okay, situation, he has a cheap cam and wants to put it on a 9x50 finderscope, as it is cheap it will not be using a C Mount so that leaves only one option and that is the normal webcan mount, I have asked him if he has the mount and as of yet no reply. :)

Jim

I have bought a few cheap webcams

and will try them with my 9x50 finderscope I have no adaptors for them and will have to make something to get them to work

I could not figure out how the webcam focused with the lense removed

but now I can understand that you use the finderscopes lenses to achive focus and may be adjust the webcams position as well

I have just bought a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA but not yet used it

I was going to just see if I could get a webcam to this for guiding , it might not be suitable I donk know

I am going to buy the Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA for guiding and use maybe use a QHY5 when funds permit

I have bought a few cheap webcams

and will try them with my 9x50 finderscope I have no adaptors for them and will have to make something to get them to work

I could not figure out how the webcam focused with the lense removed

but now I can understand that you use the finderscopes lenses to achive focus and may be adjust the webcams position as well

I have just bought a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA but not yet used it

I was going to just see if I could get a webcam to this for guiding , it might not be suitable I donk know

I am going to buy the Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA for guiding and use maybe use a QHY5 when funds permit

If you search the forums for "finderguider" you'll see what issues you are going to be faced with.