Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
tjensen

Hyperstar Imaging M20, M8, M27 and Sculptor Galaxy

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum.

I just received a HyperStar for my C14. Weather has natrually not cooperated, but I did manage to get out to take these shots last week.

80 x 20 second subs using a modified Canon T2i

16 flats

16 darks

16 dark flats

16 bias

Stacked with ImagesPlus and final tweaking in Photoshop.

I still need to work on the collimation for the Hyperstar. I also need to get my polar alignment nailed down so I can increase the exposure times. So far, I really like this f2 imaging!

Hope you enjoy the photos. As always, comments and criticisms welcomed.

Cheers

Tim

post-23400-0-89623300-1348157493_thumb.jpost-23400-0-99027500-1348157534_thumb.jpost-23400-0-75388900-1348157576_thumb.j

• Like 1

Lovely pics. F2 sounds great but strikes me as a bit of a nightmare - focusing, collimating, managing gradients. You seem to have it cracked

Wow, you are making it look easy. I had written off using my C14 for deep sky imaging...

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really looking forward to spring galaxy season now. I want to see how deep I can take this system. In the mean time, there' s lots to shoot!!!

Now if only the sky would clear...

Nice shots!

You might be disappointed with Hyperstar in a spring season. You'll barely discern the galaxies at F/2 imaging.

I simply remove it from March to June.

Mark

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      I currently am on holiday in my father's hometown, a small island near rhodes called symi.Symj, is a pretty small town,with only about 2000 residents.That means that the light pollution levels must be low. Acknowledging that, i called my friends, grabbed my 10x50 bins(that i got for 20€ from Turkey),and went on my way to find a dark site.About after 20 mins of walking (from the city),i stumbled upon a beach, it was dark, so i went in.There i decided to lay on a sunbed that was there.After looking up(not being dark adapted, my friends just kept turning their flashlights on for some reason), i saw the haze of the milky way stretching from Cassiopeia to cygnus and beyond!I was amazed as i ve never seen the milky way before and smudged it off as clouds until i confirmed it was the milky way from an app! The weird part was that at just straight overhead, was the port ,which had many lights, and as a result the sky appeared half bright and half dark. I turned over at Sagittarius and headed over the lagoon nebula. Brilliant! 3-4 stars in a line surrounded by bright nebulosity.(while still being in the haze!) Afterwards i headed to cygnus,it was a real light show! I saw the milky way layering on top of Cygnus while catching a glimpse of m23 and yet again, failing to see NGC7000 . Then, with the corner of my eye, i detected something moving, then turned over to Cassiopeia to see a shooting stsr!(it was my first time seeing one!!!) Was very brief, yet enjoyable. Right afterwards i turned over at the Perseus double cluster.Magnificent! Appeared as 2 small balls of light , almost connected yo eachother. Finally, i realised that finally, the target i was seeking to observe all year long, M31 was into the area with the light pollution! What a shame! While also being low on the Horizon, I couldnt see it with the naked eye. I observed it with ny binoculars for 10 minutes or so . The core was resolved nicely with some hints of outer nebulosity. Overall a great night and now, i wished i had my 8" dob with me....
      (Sorry for any granmar mistakes, im currently typing this at 2 am xD)
    • By MarsG76
      The Lagoon Nebula (Messier 8, M8 or NGC 6523) is a emission nebula in the constellation Sagittarius, and is estimated to be between 4,000-6,000 light-years from the Earth. This image was taken with a full spectrum modded DSLR through a 80mm refractor for a total exposure time of 1002 minutes through SII, HAlpha and OIII filters.
    • By MarsG76
      Hello Astronomers,
      As I'm still slowly processing my remaining data captured earlier this year, now I'm sharing with you my image of the Lagoon Nebula exposed in narrowband Hubble palette.
      To me, the shape of M8 in narrowband resembles the map of Australia...
      This image was also in the group of captures in exposing the Prawn, Lagoon and Swan nebulae on the night of 5/6 July in OSC natural color. As with the Prawn and Swan nebulae, I decided to spend a few nights capturing SII, HAlpha and OIII data of M8 also, spending 1/3rd of the night imaging time on each of the objects, this way I ended up with data of all three at the end of the imaging sessions.
      This image was exposed through my Bosma 80mm refractor and the full spectrum modded Canon 40D on nights from 6th till 19th July 2019.
      The total exposure for all three channels of this image was 1002 minutes.
      Thanks for looking, Clear skies
      Mariusz

• By MarsG76
      The Lagoon Nebula in natural color, approximately 2 hours of 2, 3 and 7.5 minute ISO1600 subs, taken with a Astro modded canon 40D through a 80mm f6.25 refractor.
    • By MarsG76
      Hello Astro people...

I'm slowly I'm getting through my captured data from April, June & July as time permits. Now it was the turn to process my Lagoon data...
      This one is the Lagoon Nebula in natural color.... It's only about 2 hours worth of 2, 3 & 7.5 minute subs at ISO1600 using my Canon 40D.

I usually imaged at ISO800, but with is one, and the other two on the same night, I decided to give ISO1600 a go to see whether there will be more noise when comparing to ISO800... The result is that there isn't, it looks every bit as clean as my ISO800 exposures, except with the added benefit of half of the time being spent on exposure...

Clear Skies,
      MG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.