SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

APM Doublet ED Apo 152/1200 mm OTA

A new 6" f/8 ED refractor with an R&P focuser and the price isn't completely ridiculous. Works out to about £3,200.00.

A 6" f/8 ED with the glass combination Chengdu CDGM FK61 and Lanthanium H-LAF53.

The lens is airspaced with 2 elements. The gap measures only 0.2 mm to have very little air for cool down. The cell has been optimized for pinching free between -15° Celsius and +40°C and centers the elements with special thermo compensated custom made Teflon screws. For an additional amount you can get a interferometric test protocol at 532 nm (green) wavelength. We developed a new 2.5" rack and pinion focuser with 1:10 micro focusing for this telescope which guarantees no bending and a high loading capacity for imaging.

http://www.apm-teles...200-mm-OTA.html

John

post-1876-0-36253500-1348154643_thumb.jp

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a 14p thread on CN discussing this FYI also on terms of how built and options around construction was interesting read.<br /><br /> Got an email from astronomia around month ago quoting around £2800 think it's same one, he can send data sheet as appears they are likely to be resellers

I bet a number of different brands of this OTA are due to appear this winter.

I've always found APM good to deal with. An old fashioned company that gives good old fashioned service. You do see complaints from Americans sometimes though who just don't "get" the way companies like this work and try and treat them like an American company where threatening and yelling gets results. With an old fashioned company like APM though it just gets their back up whereas just ask them for help and they'll bend over backwards to help you in any way possible.

John

A new 6" f/8 ED refractor with an R&P focuser and the price isn't completely ridiculous. Works out to about £3,200.00.

A 6" f/8 ED with the glass combination Chengdu CDGM FK61 and Lanthanium H-LAF53.

The lens is airspaced with 2 elements. The gap measures only 0.2 mm to have very little air for cool down. The cell has been optimized for pinching free between -15° Celsius and +40°C and centers the elements with special thermo compensated custom made Teflon screws. For an additional amount you can get a interferometric test protocol at 532 nm (green) wavelength. We developed a new 2.5" rack and pinion focuser with 1:10 micro focusing for this telescope which guarantees no bending and a high loading capacity for imaging.

John

So is this a pure advertismnet posting?

Do you work for / at APM telescopes?

Your words "We developed" seem to indicate this.

Cheers Karsten

Cheers Karsten

#

Steady now :smiley: John is not connected with them but does have a wealth of knowledge on scopes etc. Simply a heads up for those interested.

Without malice

John

Cheers Karsten

Simply copy of paragraph on APM's web page. I have no connection with them at all except as an occasional customer.

John

Hello John,

sorry for misinterpreting your post. It was puzzling me.

Your first post begins with your personal words

and then it continues with an advertisment text wich you seem to have copied from APM,

without any quote-mark that these are not your own words.

I think it would be better to use quote mark when things are quoted.

Well, I bet in some moth this new chinese optics can be found in a variety of scope,

beeing sold under a variety of different "brand-names".

Sorry for my limited english, Karsten

It seem a high cost to me for a doublet lens. You can pick up a triplet for not a great deal more when your talking in thousands

Alan.

Could you give some examples Alan ?

I thought I'd need to budget closer to £5K for a good 6" triplet.

Hello John,

sorry for misinterpreting your post. It was puzzling me.

Your first post begins with your personal words

and then it continues with an advertisment text wich you seem to have copied from APM,

without any quote-mark that these are not your own words.

I think it would be better to use quote mark

No problem Karsten and yes it would be a good idea to use quote marks.

John

The 2mm air space does not only mean there is little air to cool, it also means the space is so narrow convection currents can hardly build up (and these are the key problem). Should be interesting. I got my 80mm F/6 with flattener from APM, had no hassles dealing with them. Delivery was prompt, the quality fine.

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, it has faster F/R and slightly lower F/L, but has the same size and is alot cheaper. I own one of these and it's a great scope. Not sure if the VAT over there would kill and cost savings or not.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/optical-tubes/explorescientificar152f65airspaceddoubletachromaticrefractortelescope.cfm

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, it has faster F/R and slightly lower F/L, but has the same size and is alot cheaper. I own one of these and it's a great scope. Not sure if the VAT over there would kill and cost savings or not.

http://www.telescope...ortelescope.cfm

I've seen some great reports on those, including one on here. It's an achromat though wheras the subject of this post has an ED lens element which will significantly reduce chromatic aberration. ED glass is much more expensive and so are the scopes that use it.

Actually I believe the OP actually owns an 150mm F/5.9 achromat already as I recall !

John

actually that's quite a good price considering that a 6 inch vixen atlux f9 ed doublet refractor cost that in 1992 .

Or for those with more money to spend (about £5600), there is a "Super ED APO" version with a Riccardi designed doublet lens manufactured by LZOS in Russia:

http://www.apm-teles....html?info=3288

For that kind of dosh, I would get a C14 OTA (or even with a CGE mount (non pro)). Still a beautiful scope though.

For that kind of dosh, I would get a C14 OTA (or even with a CGE mount (non pro)). Still a beautiful scope though.

I know what you are saying Michael but for me a C14 would be totally unusable whereas I could put one of the above 6" optical tubes straight onto my current mount and be out there under the stars without having to

construct an observatory and/or move house. My dreams have to be tempered with a little reality !

I could also get "another 6" refractor" past my other half while a C14 or 18"+ dobsonian is going to require a heck of a lot more diplomacy :smiley:

At the moment it's all pipe dreams anyway :rolleyes2:

I know what you are saying Michael but for me a C14 would be totally unusable whereas I could put one of the above 6" optical tubes straight onto my current mount and be out there under the stars without having to a) construct an observatory and/or move house. My dreams have to be tempered with a little reality !

I could also get "another 6" refractor" past my other half while a C14 or 18"+ dobsonian is going to require a heck of a lot more diplomacy :smiley:

At the moment it's all pipe dreams anyway :rolleyes2:

I think I might go for a "suitcase Dob", as those can fly under the radar more easily. Another scope? No, dear, this is just a new EP case :D

Archived