sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

I decided it was about time I had a go at Andromeda, so with 2 clear nights this week I've managed to gather just shy of 7hrs worth of colour and Ha for the star-forming regions. I've had a couple of realisations while working on this:

• It's MASSIVE! This is a 2-panel mosaic and it still only just fits!
  • It's a real challenge to process. Even with a fresh set of decent flats, I had real trouble combining the 2 halves. Don't think I've quite got it right yet.

It's one of those targets where I think, if I started again from scratch with the processing it would look completely different each time! I might try again some time, as I'm not happy with all aspects of the image... Also, I would like a bit more colour data for the faint areas.

• Colour: 2 x 26 x 300s
  • Ha: 2 x 7 x 600s
  • Camera: 450d, modded
  • Scope: Skywatcher 150PDS
  • Mount: Vixen GP (getting long in the gear tooth now!)

Any tips on processing M31 would be greatly appreciated!

gallery_5051_1080_1477993.jpg

M31 was actually the first DSO I ever attempted capturing on camera. At least my new version is better than that! :D

med_gallery_5051_1849_472149.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided it was about time I had a go at Andromeda, so with 2 clear nights this week I've managed to gather just shy of 7hrs worth of colour and Ha for the star-forming regions. I've had a couple of

Check out my new debit card

Thanks all :)

Just bright stars got hard post-processing edges. You can easily remove them.

Yeah, this is one of the things I'm not entirely happy with! I lost control of them at some stage of the process... But was past the point of no return when I realised!

Big improvement on your first image!

Yes, but then I could probably get a better result with my phone camera! ;)

Lewis,,

You can restore stars. You can trust Adam Block on this.

Take your master file with unprocessed stars, lay it in Photoshop on top, use Screen mode and brighten with Levels. The edges will disappear.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice image. A printed poster would be impressive.

It's a real challenge to process. Even with a fresh set of decent flats, I had real trouble combining the 2 halves. Don't think I've quite got it right yet

I know what you mean, last year I have made a 4-panel mosaic of M31. The processing took 4 weeks.

Fully agree

Very nice image. A printed poster would be impressive.

I know what you mean, last year I have made a 4-panel mosaic of M31. The processing took 4 weeks.

Fully agree! I'm working on 10 panels for this. Will finish next year ;)

Mark

This image of yours serves as a great inspiration to me. To think that I could potentially do this with my new equipment is mind blowing.

And you did it twice for this one.

Hat's off to you sir.

Amazing. M31 was my firat target for astrophotography and had to struggle quite a bit to produce my first acceptable image. I was always going to have another go at it, but after seeing your image, I'm going to do it as soon as possible! Did you take any short exposures for core control? Once again, amazing results considering your gear!

Amazing. M31 was my firat target for astrophotography and had to struggle quite a bit to produce my first acceptable image. I was always going to have another go at it, but after seeing your image, I'm going to do it as soon as possible! Did you take any short exposures for core control? Once again, amazing results considering your gear!

Thanks! :)

I didn't take any shorter subs for the core, but I did process it on a separate layer to try and bring out some detail independently - using a bit of sharpening and upping the contrast. I think that the "central bulge" of Andromeda is blocking most of the dust lanes, so I think even with shorter exposures it's quite difficult to extract the detail (although I know some have success with wavelets, but that's not something I've ever used).

Hmm... I wonder how my 4 pane ccd luminance master would look with this as a colour layer? Need to get a proper look on the pc first. Not having a laptop any more is becoming a bit of a pain!

Nice work anyways :)