Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First ever image of a planet using webcam

broony

Ok, its not very impressive but I have waited since I was 5 yrs old o get my very own picture of jupiter. I used an Asda webcam (£1.26 was the cost!!!) and 6 inch Newtonian. 1200 frames, stacked in registax.

The moons have been slightly enhanced for visual purposes, as they almost disappeared during post-processing

Don't laugh, I am waiting for a modified Touchcam 4000 to arrive and will maybe improve cameras further after that, but for a camera less than the cost of a double cheeseburger...I am quite impressed....not bad for 640x480 resolution.

Anyway, I am happy, and I am sure I can only improve..pity my RA drive has broken tonight :(

post-23101-0-24079300-1348097769_thumb.j

Nothing wrong with that.

Not bad at all ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone

Hi Broony can I ask is that better and more detailed than the image you see at the eyepiece?

thanks Gordon

Absolutely. I could just see the two main bands in the eyepiece, but it was very faint and just white. Its only after stacking that It revealed the colours etc.

Well done Broony! It may be an inexpensive start but once the imaging bug has taken hold your credit card starts feeling the strain! :Envy:

Oh dear! :laugh:

Well done Broony! It may be an inexpensive start but once the imaging bug has taken hold your credit card starts feeling the strain! :Envy:

Hahahah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Well done though, it's a fantastic feeling to look at your first image and think, that's hundreds of millions of miles away and I took a picture of it from my back garden with a few hundred pounds of equipment! And I don't think that feeling ever goes away.

Get yourself a barlow before the Toucam arrives and you should see a very quick improvementin image size/quality.

Hahahah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Well done though, it's a fantastic feeling to look at your first image and think, that's hundreds of millions of miles away and I took a picture of it from my back garden with a few hundred pounds of equipment! And I don't think that feeling ever goes away.

Get yourself a barlow before the Toucam arrives and you should see a very quick improvementin image size/quality.

ha ha , I know. I am still excited about it. I have a 2X barlow, but didn't get a very good image, couldnt focus it well. Maybe because it was window and it was magnifying the movement too much, or maybe its just a cheap lens (came with scope). Will try ti with barlow next time. thanks

Archived