Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie Lunar Question

Connor

Well it's a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ with 70mm aperture (I'm pretty sure you commented on my other thread where I talked about it)

Quite likely, but I natter so much online it is hard to remember it all :D.

Your 70mm should show plenty of detail at 90x. On good nights you could push to 120x, but beyond that, you will need more aperture to get away with that much magnification. Plenty to see on the moon at that magnification.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Regarding magnification, the rule of thumb is 2x mag per mm of aperture so a 70mm refractor will give a maximum practical magnification of 140x. In reality there are a number of other factors affecting mag including air quality, sky conditions (thin cloud, light pollution, etc), viewing location, an individual's eyesight, and scope / eyepiece quality. Considering these factors a more practical level of magnification is 1x - 1.5x mag per mm. This isn't as bad as it sounds as at 15x the moon will fill an eyepiece fov and at 70x you will be observing individual lunar regions. Planets will also look good under these mag levels and what you lose in all-out magnification you will make up with smaller, crisper images. DSOs are the opposite as most respond well to lower, widefield mags.

Overmagnifying leads to loss of detail as you go beyond the focal length of the scope and magnify the air between yourself and the object being observed. Another effect of overmagnifying an image is you also magnify the effect of the Earth's rotation so the image will pass through your ep / fov too fast for any real detail to be picked up (unless you have a driven mount, of course).

HTH!

• 1 month later...

Your 70mm frac will show you the major craters (eg. Copernicus, Tyco, Clavius, Plato plus many more), the mountains and mares, plus some other geological features such as Schroter Valley, Alpine Valley, and perhaps even the Straight Wall (lunar fault) under the right illumination.

Good luck and have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived