Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 8 - General Questions?

daz

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving in with headlights on normally results in a lot of verbal abuse

I remember the time.. when a police car decided to drive around and check that the odd activities going on... they almost got lynched.

Thanks for replying everyone. I'll be on my own and won't know anyone at all so it will feel a bit strange in amongst a field of strangers, but I'll look forward to it.

I'll leave the car out the way of the field. Again, depending on work (the biggest pain in my life - secondary to the weather of course) I would hope to arrive in daylight anyway.

Do I need to contribute any monies to anyone? I mean towards the cost of the event and its organisation, not just walking round a field throwing tenners and people :grin: this type of thing takes a great deal of organisation and I don't want to be seen as sponging of other peoples good will!

Peter - if you don't mind me asking, where about will you be pitched, or where will be a good place to start when I turn up? Again, I'm sure I read somewhere of a registration tent so I'll make a bee-line for that initialy.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for replying everyone. I'll be on my own and won't know anyone at all so it will feel a bit strange in amongst a field of strangers, but I'll look forward to it.

I'll leave the car out the way of the field. Again, depending on work (the biggest pain in my life - secondary to the weather of course) I would hope to arrive in daylight anyway.

Do I need to contribute any monies to anyone? I mean towards the cost of the event and its organisation, not just walking round a field throwing tenners and people :grin: this type of thing takes a great deal of organisation and I don't want to be seen as sponging of other peoples good will!

Peter - if you don't mind me asking, where about will you be pitched, or where will be a good place to start when I turn up? Again, I'm sure I read somewhere of a registration tent so I'll make a bee-line for that initialy.

Cheers

Tony

Edit: throwing tenners at people.....

Not throwing tenners and people... not a good way of making friends.... running around a field trying to throw strangers about a campsite.

Jaffa cakes are the usual legal tender at SGL events :grin:

Hi Tony,

I am at pitch 17 Kingfisher you are more than welcome to visit.

Incidentally, Sainsburys have devalued the currency, you can now yet a twin pack of Jaffa Cakes for £1.

Remember that if you need a torch, red light is the order of night if it is a clear evening,

If you use a clear torch, a lorry load of Jaffa Cakes may just be needed to satisfy an angry crowd!

Look forward to meeting up.

Cheers

Adrian

I am , like Mountainmadman, based in herefordshire. Seeing as its on my doorstep and I've been asked by some lovely people in another thread about scopes, to get my ass over to SG8 to have a look and see what some proper astronomer types look like in the dark (I've heard they wink and squint a lot ;). You will have to put up with someone asking lots of questions and probably being overexcited about seeing anything in the wonderful clear dark skies we will all have :)

So if its okie if I can ruck up on the Thursday evening (as thats my own free evening with work booo, but Sunday off yey!) and say hello?

And if I can contribute to the event with a few quid than even better :)

Just a thought this one; in case Saturday evening in particular would be overcast (I'm only stopping Saturday evening), I will bring my Homestar Planetarium projector with me. It might be fun to project up at the ceiling of one of the event tents perhaps?

Of course it would be shut down at the first report of clearing skies (even sucker holes) as it has a brigt white LED as a light source. If you've never seen one, check here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planetarium-Homestar-Theatre-Sega-Toys/dp/B005R0FMHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362934735&sr=8-1

I thought it might provide some comfort for those with starry sky withdrawl (like me) and adults and kids alike can play 'spot the constellation'. Organisers; let me know if you might be interested in seeing it. I hope we will have the real thing instead of course.

Regards,

Andrew

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but if people need urgent help with something and need to reach as many people as possible (need red film, help with equipment etc) what about having a notice board that people can pin their messages with their location? As long as people check it regularly to see if they can help!

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but if people need urgent help with something and need to reach as many people as possible (need red film, help with equipment etc) what about having a notice board that people can pin their messages with their location? As long as people check it regularly to see if they can help!
i think there are plans to have a board either in the reception or tea tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

i think there are plans to have a board either in the reception or tea tent

I hope any such boards are particularly large, I have plenty of shortfalls... :D

Will there be any red acetate available? Im having trouble finding it locally - I need enough the car interior lights, one 15.6" laptop and a smartphone. Will pay if required, thanks!

I have a roll I can bring along - will try to bring sellotape too :grin: Then there will be 2 available.

I remember the time.. when a police car decided to drive around and check that the odd activities going on... they almost got lynched.

I can imagine that seeing a load of shady figures that hide their faces when you shine a light on them might arouse some suspicion

I'm thinking of coming along for an extra night, (arriving tomorrow - Tuesday 12th instead of Wednesday 13th).

Is this okay, do I just put the payment through the FLO site for the extra night, or pay admin when I arrive?

EDIT: Just realised the payment page is no longer up on FLO's site.

I know I'll have to move my tent, but that's not a huge problem :-)

I will have a couple of Lead Acid smart chargers with me if anyone needs anything charging or "recovering"... and aslo a spare 110AH lesiure Battery incase anyone has power problems..

Ian you shouldn't have tempted me with the possibility of an extra day... I am off work already....although I am hoping to have an appointment with Panastarrs and Worms head on Wednesdaty night...

Peter...

Archived