Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 8 - General Questions?

daz

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a camping light for the tent, anyone got ideas where I can get something to turn it red - acetate etc?

Kate

Depending on how big the light is you could try using brake light repair tape. I bought a roll from a local car accessories shop for a couple of quid and have converted several torches with it. The alternative is Babybel / sweet wrappers stuck in place OR adapting a sheet of red filter film used for laptop screens. The only other solution I can think of is glass paint from artist supply shops.

HTH!

Depending on how big the light is you could try using brake light repair tape. I bought a roll from a local car accessories shop for a couple of quid and have converted several torches with it. The alternative is Babybel / sweet wrappers stuck in place OR adapting a sheet of red filter film used for laptop screens. The only other solution I can think of is glass paint from artist supply shops.

HTH!

Thank you, will look at local car repair shop for tape and try it out.

My top tip for SGL8 camping comfort is to stop drinking beer at least 2 hours before you plan to turn in for the night. Waking up in Arctic conditions at 5am with a full bladder and the prospect of having to get out of a warm sleeping bag to go to the loo is a harrowing and traumatic experience.

Hi Kate,

On the question of Red film, most arts and craft shops sell it in rolls of 2 to 3 metres, there are three art type shops in Sidmouth according to Google.

Make sure you get the Clear/transparent red version and not the silver backed red version, as the silver projects a beautiful bright glow... and is next to useless!!!

I have two 60 led lamps @ £10 each from Clas Ohlson, these lamps have internal re-chargeable batteries and a charger, it takes 6 hours to fully charge the lamp and the lamp can either work in standalone mode (for up to 6 hours before you need to recharge) or it you have an electrical supply it can work with the charger attached to the electrics... brilliant...

I keep one lamp clear and strangely I put the transparent red film on the other lamp. I have been using them for about 2 years and no problems encountered so far.

They are great value for money. Some of the SGL members who attend the Galloway SP and Cumbria Star parties are now using them as well.

You can use the red film over the car lights attaching it with black tape. Normally, I get everything I need out of car before it goes dark and then lock the car.

I put the car key in a tent pocket and just leave it there.

Cheers

Adrian

You will need an Electric Hookup Unit (EHU) to connect to the campsite supply this connects to the 16A (blue) connector and gives you an RCCD/MCB protected output via standard 13A sockets...

I used standard electric fan heater... which I placed on a table inside the tent... Next tiem I will remeber my remote control sockets so I can switch it on and off without crawling out of the sleeping bag...

The campsite is well served by hookup points and each of these can supply plenty of "juice" and can cope with standard doemstic appliances instead of the usual wimpy camping ones

Peter...

How cold was it last year....... 2 morning out of the three that i was there i woke up to ice on the inside of the ternt. I wasnt cold though as i went well prepared.

For the red light conversion, if you plan on using the torch only for star use then you coould paint the bulb cover with red nail polish.

Agree the hog roast was excellent, looking forward to SGL8.

Hog Roast - YES!

Hmm its definitely a clincher! my F5 button should be worn out next week!

Just to clarify with the power connections, the camp site provides the standard 3pin supply, the adapter to a standard uk plug socket will have to be self provided?

Hog Roast - YES!

The electrical connections are standard camping ones >>http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B001DJ8E9Q<< Once you have this running into your tent you have three "normal" sockets for heaters / toasters / kettles etc... and there is nothing to stop you from then adding in another extension lead.

Cheers

Ant

I'm thinking on coming and was wondering about the "standard camping ones"....our "German" sockets (plugs)are different so was wondering,is this cable here >>>>>>>$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFSz5cBQP,OpyD)!~~60_12.JPG

the right one that I will need...and what is the voltage there? ours here is 220-30 volts...and is the extra cost per day

for electricity a single price or is there a meter and I am only allowed so much per day? and finally if electricity was out

of the question what about gas heaters like this>>>

174225.jpg

sorry if this is to long but am making a list of supplys I will need and costs(like petrol (round trip 2600 km)ferry or train tunnel.food and a little pocket money for site seeing)

to see if it would be worth it......I am still looking for someone who is willing to go with me (in other words a car to load everything into.....no car no trip)

thanks in advance for any help :grin:

I've thought about fishing that stretch a few times in previous star parties but somehow I've never found the time. Too many folks to chat with about astronomy and so little time :smiley:

was checking out the site for the very same reasons......if I "trick"someone into driving me and supplys to the site it would be because of fishing .... no one else in my family is interested in astronomy :sad: here is a layout of the site (if I got the right place) and as you can see plenty of fishing points :grin:

site_plan.jpg

You will need a UK Fishing Rod licence which can be purchased for just a specific week. This is in addition to any permit to fish the actual river that is required. I think the camp site controls the permit for this stretch of the river.

I'm thinking on coming and was wondering about the "standard camping ones"....our "German" sockets (plugs)are different so was wondering,is this cable here >>>>>>>$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFSz5cBQP,OpyD)!~~60_12.JPG

the right one that I will need...and what is the voltage there? ours here is 220-30 volts...and is the extra cost per day

for electricity a single price or is there a meter and I am only allowed so much per day? and finally if electricity was out

174225.jpg

sorry if this is to long but am making a list of supplys I will need and costs(like petrol (round trip 2600 km)ferry or train tunnel.food and a little pocket money for site seeing)

to see if it would be worth it......I am still looking for someone who is willing to go with me (in other words a car to load everything into.....no car no trip)

oh....just seen this ....i think this is the right cable$(KGrHqFHJBkE9r6,rl!(BPgE2R8MFg~~60_35.JPG

Ok,

one for the experienced campers,

as it stands, I possess neither a Caravan, Motorhome or tent (discounting the small '2 man' tent from Halfords). My Daughter has expressed an interest in coming along so am looking at getting a 'decent' tent for the 2 of us plus gear, so I'm thinking 4 'berth'. But, there are so many out there, different 'hydrostatic heads', all in one erection, fly sheet first erection, inner first. Footprints and carpets. All stuff I know very little about.

In your collective experiences, can anyone recommend a suitable tent that wont make the bank manager (or my wife) cry?? Obviously, I'm looking for something easy to erect. Was hoping to get something around the £100 - £150, I can see they're out there, but are they any good, or should I really be looking to spend more for a unit that's 'up to the job' ??

Many thanks in advance

Rick

174225.jpg

One note of caution in regard to the gas heater - tents and non-electric based heaters are a disaster waiting to happen (CO and/or fire risk).

Play it safe and bring an electric heater only - a simple fan heater will do. Use gas for cooking only.

If when you arrive, it turns out you have the wrong power cable, there is an onsite shop that will be there to assist.

Ok,

one for the experienced campers,

as it stands, I possess neither a Caravan, Motorhome or tent (discounting the small '2 man' tent from Halfords). My Daughter has expressed an interest in coming along so am looking at getting a 'decent' tent for the 2 of us plus gear, so I'm thinking 4 'berth'. But, there are so many out there, different 'hydrostatic heads', all in one erection, fly sheet first erection, inner first. Footprints and carpets. All stuff I know very little about.

In your collective experiences, can anyone recommend a suitable tent that wont make the bank manager (or my wife) cry?? Obviously, I'm looking for something easy to erect. Was hoping to get something around the £100 - £150, I can see they're out there, but are they any good, or should I really be looking to spend more for a unit that's 'up to the job' ??

Many thanks in advance

Rick

Halfords has some quite good deals at this time of year on decent size tents which are reasonably easy to put up.

Kate

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_236903 This is what we got a couple of years ago, fairly easy to set up, although I'm sure there will be people who can help out if you get stuck, and this year comes with air beds and sleeping bags

Cheers,

got to Halfords, they had another offer, better tent (bigger and 3000mm Hydrostatic head), 4 'mummy' type sleeping bags, 2 double inflatable matresses, 2 lanterns and pump for £199.99, so job done!!

Better start the 'things to get' list underway and then start ticking them off.

Thanks

Rick

One note of caution in regard to the gas heater - tents and non-electric based heaters are a disaster waiting to happen (CO and/or fire risk).

Play it safe and bring an electric heater only - a simple fan heater will do. Use gas for cooking only.

If when you arrive, it turns out you have the wrong power cable, there is an onsite shop that will be there to assist.

thanks 235...for the information....thats what I like about this forum everyone is eager to lend us newbies a helping hand.....but unless I can get my brother in law interested in fly fishing looks like I won't be coming. I got in touch with lucksall campsite and they said > The course fishing actually closes on the 14th March until June. The only fishing available is fly fishing.

> so unless I can find someone else interested in astronomy...........hmmmmm....maybe someone here in Germany is going and he can take me along....am willing to split all travel bills petrol ferries or trains and pitch costs............... :hello: when does the taxi come?

Archived