Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 8 - General Questions?

daz

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to go a little 'off topic', I'm hoping to make this my first star camp. Looking at the site on maps, I notice a nice looking river alongside, since my other interest is angling, does the site have any 'pegs' along the bank that may be used during the day if stargazing is a washout??

Cheers

Rick

I notice a nice looking river alongside, since my other interest is angling, does the site have any 'pegs' along the bank that may be used during the day if stargazing is a washout??

Cheers

Rick

Rick - the River Wye runs the whole length of the site. The site is used by a number of anglers and I understand that Lucksall issue day licenses for those using the campsite.

Mark

Hi

I agree with John, the time just flies with talking to very engaging people, drinking coffee and eating those great Jaffa Cakes!!!

Plus, if you want some peace and quiet, there are many attractions in the area.

Hereford is definitely worth a visit to the catherdal to see the Mappa Mundi and the Chained Library.

There are many fine river walks, historic castles and pubs as well.

The campsite is first class, the breakfasts as Daz says are great value and it saves you having to cook first thing in the morning.

The camp shop sells really lovely eggs and its prices are very reasonable.

The shop will get you a daily newspaper if you order it the day before.

No doubt there will be tons of good advise posted on this site over the coming months. (If you cannot wait see SGL7, SGL6 etc!!!!)

Cheers

Adrian

Does anyone know how many of the tent pitches have electric hookups? I have a goto, so definitely need somewhere to recharge the powertank during the day !

Really looking forward to this one, just back from Kelling which was pretty incredible, I'm well and truly hooked on the whole camping/star party experience :)

Thanks

Matsey :)

Does anyone know how many of the tent pitches have electric hookups? I have a goto, so definitely need somewhere to recharge the powertank during the day !

Really looking forward to this one, just back from Kelling which was pretty incredible, I'm well and truly hooked on the whole camping/star party experience :)

Thanks

Matsey :)

We're on the Rally Field, so about 75% of pitches have electricity, but even on a non-electric pitch there will be loads of people who will be happy for you to use their hook-up for charging during the day.

Helen

According to the main Lucksall Park website all pitches have a 16amp hookup (linky below):

http://www.lucksallp...facilities.html

HTH!

Hi onesmallstep, thanks for that - didn't think to check the campsite's website ! Have done a bit more digging on the site, and I think we'll all be on the Rally Field? In which case, the site says.... "...most pitches have electric hook-ups....". So hopefully there'll be enough of the "electric" hookups for those who need it. Fab :grin:

We're on the Rally Field, so about 75% of pitches have electricity, but even on a non-electric pitch there will be loads of people who will be happy for you to use their hook-up for charging during the day.

Helen

Thanks Helen, and apologies, I clearly didn't refresh my screen before posting my response ! :)

Coooooold at night!

We were very well prepared last time, but the only thing we regretted not taking was an electric heater for the tent!

Heh, bet you wont be forgetting that next time :D it does get bloomin cold in the early hours.

I think I will bring less beer as the local cider is far more appealing. No need for so many jaffa cakes either, it took me ages to finish off the last lot!

Hi Kate,

I may not be the best person to answer your question.

I changed out of my shorts just before 21:00 each evening at SGL 7 this year. The weather was very nice.

However, I use a layering system, I have a Helly Hansen Thermal vest, then a tee-shirt, a thin wool pullover, a Sweat shirt and finally an anorak if cold.

I wear longjohns (thermal) and Paramo mountain trousers. If it is slightly breezy I sometimes put on my waterproof over-trousers.

Walking boots with two pairs of socks and most important a fleecy hat.

Later on a cup of Bovril warms me up if it gets chilly.

I forgot I also wear thermal gloves.

If you keep moving about I find that I don't get as cold as if I stand just in one place.

A wind break around your scope also helps to keep any light breezes away from you....

Trust the above is of some help.

Cheers

Adrian

Is there plans for another a Hog roast this year? Pics from SGL7 were very mouth-watering!

That wasn't actually a hog. It was a motorist who drove into the camp one night with his headlights full on. Rather tasty though :wink:

Keep the feet and head warm and the rest will look after itself a lot better!

Dig out the old trusty hot water bottle and tuck it at the bottom of your sleeping bag when turning in for the night.

A woolly hat will look after the head.

Definitely thermal underwear.

Remember, you can always remove a layer if you are too hot.

Hog Roast - YES!

The electrical connections are standard camping ones >>http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DJ8E9Q/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550949709&ref=asc_df_B001DJ8E9Q<< Once you have this running into your tent you have three "normal" sockets for heaters / toasters / kettles etc... and there is nothing to stop you from then adding in another extension lead.

Cheers

Ant

Archived