Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

Got back about two hours ago and put all the muddy things in the back garden to dry off.

Many thanks to all the Mods and Admin for making it happen and special thanks to Daz for all the hard work in organising it all.

Wednesday night was the best, clear all the way through but very cold, got some shots of M101. It was nice to have that hour long clear spell last night to do some visuals, thanks to Rik, and Luke & Sarah for letting me look through their Dobs.

Great to see everyone again,

Roll on SGL 9 !!!!!!!

Edited by reddoss

Ok so the weather wasn't very kind but it was nice to see some familiar faces & catch up plus we had a right laugh especially with the cheese & onion pasty sprinkled with crushed frazzles in a wrap guy (sorry I forgot your name)

That'll be MikeD. The crushing of the Frazzles is very important.

High praise to Daz and everyone else who helped organise such a great event.

Anthony

• Like 1

Back a while now and almost all packed away. Driven back through snow, sleet, rain and followed a gritter for a large proportion of the journey - doesn't bode well for this evening....

A few things left to dry (tent, jaffa cakes etc.) but everything now back and installed in the obsy.

A few thanks:

To Daz and the other mods for all their hard work.

Whoever made constellation cakes. What a fabulous idea!

To Tich for being good company on the journeys there and back.

To MickD - welcoming me to my 1st star party, drinking buddy and being a good bloke.

To all those in the welcome pergola on Saturday evening (you know who you are - if not remember pasties and frazzles) for general hilarity.

Makers of Old Rosie Scrumpy - where would we be without you?

MDStuart for giving me Messiers and NGC objects to find on Saturday evening (most of which required a contortionist to find in the Telrad :grin:) after too much Old Rosie led to a lack of planning on my part.

Apologies to:

The owners of the camp site. Sorry, we turned it into the Somme.

Anyone I kept awake at 1:30 Saturday morning with my coffee grinder GOTO.

My wife. Now I've done a star party, I want to do more..... :evil:

See you next year!

• Like 2

That's it for another year. All the gear is dried, cleaned and put away labelled...Not to be opened until SGL9.

Many thanks to Daz, Admin and mods for another amazing event, and to all those who helped organise it.

I especially enjoyed the Sir Patrick tribute, that was great.

A big thank you also to Ray (rockrae78) who helped me get my tent up on arrival, and generally watching out for my well being during the event.

Great to see old mates again and it is always a pleasure making more. I hope to see them all again at SGL9.

• Like 1

Also now back home, just have to remember to unpack the pop-up Quechua Base 'astro-shelter' which performed flawlessly and was put up and taken down in just minutes (thank goodness), but was still a little damp on take down.

I echo all the thanks to Daz and the other organisers. Astronomy - nil, SGL networking - nil (due to a warm & cosy shelter), but I got a good impression of an SGL star party, heard lots going on for those braving the cold evenings under the event tents. I will definitely be back, and for a longer stay than just one evening next time. Thanks again guys & gals (p.s. Hog Roast was scrummy too).

Just wanted to add my thanks to the team for organising the event. 1 good night and a couple of hours of skies much better than Birmingham. So no complaints about the weather from me and as usual a pleasure to meet you all. I hope to see you next year.

Finally home - after a relaxing drink it will be undoing the unpack chaos! Many thanks to everyone for making it enjoyable under the glastonbury conditions :) Back here it's raining but near Reading there's snow in the fields but feeling recharged.

Big thankyou to:

* Daz & everyone for organising it

* Astrognome (Mark) for allowing me to borrow a counterweight after I forgot mine

* Kev for (a) again giving me kit envy (SGL7 it was borg focusers, SGL8 it was a little fast finderscope with camera!) and for the plates under the EQ6.

* Psychobilly for the duvet as Sandrine was chilled to the bone. For SGL9 I owe you a Full Fuel breakfast!

* Helen and Spikey for testing of the ATIK drivers with their cameras :) I've found a couple of bugs (now fixed)

* Adrian for the lift down the pub

* Rae for the cakes!

* AndyUK for sitting and chatting

* Sandrine for putting up with it!

Looking forward to seeing you all at SGL9 :)

• Like 2

I suspect that may really have been me as the CG5 aka coffee grinder was practically on Keiths head and I had to redo the alignment, so apologies for waking you :embarassed:

No not at all, I'm glad it woke me or else I wouldn't have got any observing done at all. Thanks :)

Another who arrived home a few hours ago and spent a couple of hours hosing down the tent , boots, shoes, And the worst of the mud the clothes before they were allowed anywhere near the washing machine...

Thanks To Daz/Tracy and the others admins for organising the party and to all the attendees for making it another brilliant event despite the weather...especially the crowd who watched the three rugby matches back to back while sipping or in some cases slurping the odd medicinal beverage...

Now its time for me to get hosed down in the shower before a long hot soak in a dettol and radox bath...

Peter...

Got back around 3pm, unpacked had my Sunday roast and the obs is back up and running but with two CCDs now ( thanks Helen) and the skies are clear. :rolleyes::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Big thanks to all who took the time to set up a great starparty and to all those who made it a very enjoyable event, despite the weather.

Big thaks to Luke and Sarah for the fantastic views through the 16" dob.

Mike.

• Like 1

I got back earlier this afternoon and promptly sat down and had a brew. Many thanks to Dellis who gave me a lift down after my bike died on me and who brought me back again.

It was a shame the weather was so poor, too bad the mods have no control over the weather. It was nice to see a few familiar faces, and some unknown ones. Not that I'll remember anyone by the time next year's event swings around. The hog roast was gorgeous and I had a proper serving that filled me right up. It was still very much worth the trip and braving the wind/rain/snow to be there.

Bailed out on Saturday due to the unpromising forecast. The skelching mud was certainly 'fun' around our pitch, I have spent most of today cleaning and drying our kit. I'm sure it would have been twice as bad had we stayed another day.

The light pollution at the site was higher than expected- really need to find a 'dark sky' venue?

Got home just after midday - tired and muddy. Half the muddy stuff is hosed down and drying/packed away. The tent itself will have to wait for decontamination until later in the week.

Had another great star party. As usual, loads of great company and plenty of booze - thanks for the Rev. James (Peter), wine (Allan) and Abeldour (Rik), and this year the added bonus of a free gift of a year's supply of mud.

Peter (Psychobilly) thanks for the video camera, can't wait to try it out. If you do decide to sell the C mount to M42 adaptor, please let me know.

The buffet and hog roast were both excellent and the Lucksall cooked breakfasts are fab.

As always, the whole thing was very well organised.

Although we were not blessed with the best of weather, the observing on Wednesday night was excellent.

A special thanks Daz and all the mods and administrators at SGL for organising such a superb event - thanks.

I regard the Starparty as a social event and try my best to enjoy it whatever happens.... If we are blessed with warm dry weather and clear skies then thats a bonus but it's the chance to actually meet forum members and friends and colleagues of the mod team that makes the event for me....

I'm glad so many of the other attendees seem to think the same way and have shown there appreciation in this and other threads and face to face during the event...

Peter....

• Like 4

Bailed out on Saturday due to the unpromising forecast. The skelching mud was certainly 'fun' around our pitch, I have spent most of today cleaning and drying our kit. I'm sure it would have been twice as bad had we stayed another day.

The light pollution at the site was higher than expected- really need to find a 'dark sky' venue?

Sorry you didn't enjoy it :( we can't control the weather I'm afraid.

The SGL star party tends to be the same weekend as Kelling spring star party, maybe next year you could try Kelling. The skies are a little darker.

A star party isn't *just* about the skies, it's the company and site as well. A lot of effort was put into finding a site that could take 100+ people, had reasonable skies, good enough facilities, fairly central, and was a site that was accommodating enough to let us cover lights, put up posters and have un-paying members of the public coming in and out...

Ant

• Like 5

I know that we could find a darker sky but it would not have the other facilities nearby. The owners of Lucksall have been so good to us for the last 5 years. I know we have some light pollution in the direction of Hereford but I still saw the Horsehead Nebula so things are not that bad.

Mark

• Like 1

I didn`t really get a chance to mingle as much as I should have but despite the weather we had a great time. The fact that it snowed Saturday night put a grin on my face!

I was a bit worried about setting up an 8 man tent with just me and my 11 year old son in the pouring rain (my sisters boyfriend and son were to arrive later)

however with luck the rain stopped and with many thanks to Photosbykev :icon_salut: we had the tent up in no time.

Thanks to Daz and everyone else involved with getting it all organised.

Got back this afternoon and had to drive through sunshine near Lucksall, snow on the M4 and torrential rain and flooding on the A272 but I wouldn't have missed the event for anything. Only disappointment was the thrashing that the Welsh rugby team gave England and I had to watch it live in an awning full of Welsh people!!

Hog roast was especially good but who actually won the Lemon Drizzle Cake competition in the end?

Thanks for the hospitality folks and a special thanks to Matthew for putting on a cabaret by electrocuting himself in a snow shower while repairing the satellite dish that brought the rugby match to his awning!

• Like 4

Well considering the forecast, the weekend was a lot more fun and interesting than I had expected.

It was great to finally meet and chat to other people who are into astrophotography :) and I've picked up a lot of processing tips and tricks that will mean I'll probably spend the next month reprocessing all my old data again.

A big thanks to Lewis (Shibby) and John for their warm, welcoming and cider filled tent.

Thanks Daz and anyone else who helped organise the event; it seems a shame to have to wait a whole year for the next one, any chance we could have 2 a year ? :grin: :grin:

And to top it off we actually got an unexpected clear sky on Saturday :grin:

Woke up hearing the guys with the dob next door (thanks for the wake up haitch!), discussing looking at the Leo triplet. That decided it for me!

You're most welcome. Glad you enjoyed my subtle "wake up and get out your tent technique" - thanks for the banter and being great friendly neighbours. :)

Edited by haitch