Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

daz

SGL 8 - General Banter

Woke up to a light covering of snow with blue skies :)

My new sleeping bag was TOO hot lol

• Like 1

Woke up to a light covering of snow with blue skies :)

My new sleeping bag was TOO hot lol

Thats a nice problem to have :)

I'm thinking of packing the cordless incase i need to drill pilot holes for the tent pegs....

Still toying with idea of coming up tomorrow and leaving on Sunday instead...

Peter

I'm thinking of packing the cordless incase i need to drill pilot holes for the tent pegs....

Peter

The weekend isn't looking great, it might be the right choice.

It's your fault I was too hot lol I bought one of the TFGear Comfort system bags. Very roomy :)

See you in the morning then... :)

Glad the bags are warm.. and great to crash in and oiut of as needed...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

No cafe till Friday??

Flip! They didn't tell me that :(

Tescos for breakfast pub for evening meal then until Friday...

Just packed the gaylander ready for the off tomorrow....Will borrow the om's car for tonights attempted comet shoot...

Peter..

Traffic warning: Avoid Cheltenham all week the races are on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Im wondering how our friends from the far SE corner are going to manage... Typical british traffic chaos after a few flakes of snow.... makes you wonder how people cope on the continent and North America...

Stay safe peeps...

Peter...

There's a cafe on rotherwas industrial estate which is only 5 minutes from the campsite

• Like 1

There's a cafe on rotherwas industrial estate which is only 5 minutes from the campsite

Roger red leader.... Tally ho........ or should that be Taffy's. :)

Despite the cloud dodging and the bitterly cold wind, we have had some lovely views this evening, including my best ever view of M51. Need a warming tipple now!

Did you get the dob out in that wind ? :shocked:

My little 4" refractor was being buffeted about a lot last night - I'd not have risked the dob to be honest.

Peter

Already changed my days Peter, and will be arriving tomorrow. Wed night is supposed to be the best of the week (all-nighter), so I hope to use every minute of that clear sky to concentrate on one target.

Oh gawd.... Ive just seen todays forecast. It looks to be perfect!

Right, thats it! Im unpacking one telescope and one camera. Cant let this one go to waste.

The forecast is annoying, Tues and Weds looking very good for all nighters, then it's downhill from Thurs onwards.... and I can't leave until Thursday lunch time grrr :mad:

Still, hopefully will get a look at the comet this evening :smiley:

Thanks for the reminder Matthew - I forgot about Pikadish. Here is a link with the post code for those with Sat Nav or not certain of the location.

http://www.192.com/a...761b637792d/ml/

Its 4.2 miles from Lucksall to the Pikadish cafe. When you leave Lucksall turn left and left again over the Holme Lacy river bridge (about 100 metres from the Lucksall site). You will then go through Holme Lacy village - as you leave the village you will go down a slop with a sharp bend at the bottom- go round the bend and keep heading for Hereford - you will eventually come to Rotherwas Industrial Estate. I believe Pikadish is signposted. I will look later when I come out this afternoon and amend this info if necessary.

Just for info there is a good cafe at Tesco (Belmont) or Asda (Belmont Roundabout) or Morrisons if you go into Hereford on the north side (not going over the Holme Lacy bridge). There are two pubs in Fownhope (Green Man expensive or the New Inn). At Mordiford you have the Moon or a mile + past Mordiford going towards Hereford you have the Bunch of Carrots (good carvery).

Talk to me if you want more info. I will be around most days and will be wearing a SGL name tag if you don't know me.

Mark

Did you get the dob out in that wind ? :shocked:

My little 4" refractor was being buffeted about a lot last night - I'd not have risked the dob to be honest.

It was mostly fine, just vibrating a bit during some gusts. Maybe the extra weight of the 16" helps? Plus we were keen to make the most of some clear skies!

I had a cracking couple of hours last night with my ST 102, stupidly cold but crystal clear with great seeing, knew it would be a good night when I found my first target, M57, without even trying, ok so not the hardest to find but still I sort of just vaguely pointed at it and there it was. Bagged a new Messier object then stunning views of Saturn, really very good at x100, even the CA which normally blights the 102 stayed away. You don't mind putting up with the cold when you get views like that.

first proper session with my new down jacket and neoprene gloves, stood up very well to the cold and the wind and the cold wind, I may not freeze my whatnots off this year.

i wish I was coming today as the forecast looks great but hopefully Wednesday will be good.

Looks like my wife is gonna have to bring the dog with her when she comes on Friday as our usually dog sitter is unavailable, will be fun in a small tent.

See you all there.

Got the scopes setup.. looks like the wind should drop off tonight.

All ready to go bar some eggs and milk, should be there by lunchtime tomorrow.

Yes John. I will be there Thursday. Looks like a good day for a white filter solar viewing test for my new 90mm refractor! Hopefully a bit brighter than M1!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to meeting you, we'll be there mid day Friday,

Nick.

Oooh, new toy just turned up at work. just go my telrad, anyone available tonight to advise on fitting. and how to get the batteries in it ! :grin:

Hope tomee some ofmyou this evening.

Had a good evening, although it was cut short by cloud. Again we had to do some cloud dodging. Although it was still cold, as the wind had dropped, it felt positively mild compared to the previous night!

We got set up earlier so we could start with the elusive Horsehead nebula before Orion was too low. Whilst I have tried a few times from home previously and think I may have seen it, I wasn't sure and thought it may have been wishful thinking and my imagination. Last night, it was still faint but the mistiness around the Horsehead was visible and the darker area of the Horsehead was visible too. Averted vision definitely helped, as did the darker skies here. I am chuffed to have been able to see this and am now keen to have another look at it again tonight! :-)