Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

Ill be taking a little electric fan heater, they do them in tesco for I think about £15, no fumes to worry about.

im going to be much more prepared this year. EHU, heater, bigger tent, warmer sleeping bag, warmer clothes, proper blow up bed instead of the backpackers ones we used in Africa, and decent cooking facilities including a cool box ( for beer of course)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they were a tenner (got one a couple of weeks ago). If its one of the upright ones its got a useful little safety feature by way of a switch on the underside - so if it ever falls over, it cuts out. Its also got a themostat so you can leave it on all night without waking up in a suffocating heat wave.

Time to start making a list of stuff to bring, including spare cables, spare 5A power supply, cleaning products and a complete toolkit (just in case). Oh, and a doormat or carpet tile for the outside of the tent as the amount of water you collect in the form of dew has a habit of making its way inside. Think I will bring a proper kettle this time too, the teeny little hotel-style kettle i had last time barely boiled enough water for one cuppa.

I was looking at one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/QUEST-LOW-WATTAGE-FAN-HEATER/dp/B006J4GW3K/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1351423272&sr=1-6, there seems to be so many out there to be honest and not much difference in cost.

As said before fan is ideal so you don't have any fumes, also they do not glow so you can avoid being the one spoiling the dark for everyone else!

Bringing my skiing jacket, gloves, salopettes, SGL beanie hat plus insulated wellies which are good to -60C. Hopefully they will not be needed.

After seeing Photobsbykev camping set up last year I bought a 4 man tent which I can stand up in, it also has a small living area. I used it at the Baker St star party in September, it is far more comfortable and make life much easier than the two man tent I had SGL6 & 7.

Bringing my skiing jacket, gloves, salopettes, SGL beanie hat plus insulated wellies which are good to -60C. Hopefully they will not be needed.

After seeing Photobsbykev camping set up last year I bought a 4 man tent which I can stand up in, it also has a small living area. I used it at the Baker St star party in September, it is far more comfortable and make life much easier than the two man tent I had SGL6 & 7.

Being able to stand up makes a world of difference lol. My 1st star party was in a Biker tent, you could just about kneel up in it !

SGL beanie - good point :) Any chance we'll have some there to buy as souvenirs?! Else might have to buy one in advance...

Tent Heater - Anweniel, I have the same problem, so many out there I've no idea which one to go for. Good point about getting a fan type and not one that glows too brightly - I don't want to be *that* person, that's for sure !

Tent Heater - Anweniel, I have the same problem, so many out there I've no idea which one to go for. Good point about getting a fan type and not one that glows too brightly - I don't want to be *that* person, that's for sure !

This is the fan heater from Argos (£9.99) that I have used at star parties. It works very well, is very light and switches itself off if it falls over.

post-2076-0-45050100-1359457105_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have starparty / camping checklist? It's my first star party I don't want to forget anything vital!
I'm starting to get mine together.

With a background in mountaineering and walking, I shall be doing it lite (cos that's all the kit I have.

My only recommendations:

For really cold nights, a down sleeping bag with a cotton liner.

A twin walled tent.

Make sure you have a stove to make a brew on (avoid anything complicated - it needs to work). May I suggest a Trangia?

Toilet paper.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I guess we will have the "Tea and Coffee" gazeebo running again this year... it's there for all to use....

I won't be takign any cooking gear this year even though I have the room for it but will be using the on site Cafe...

The on site loos and washrooms are kept well stocked... Don't be tempted to pop into the nearest toilet tent as you might find a scope in there....An emergency "supply" is always useful...

I really need to start getting kit together... I think I knew where i stashed it all after last year...

Peter...

Gonna draw up a list in advance I think - bound to forget something important....

You can`t beat the good old list! Start it now and keep adding to it until you got every last little bit you might need on it.

I have kept my original list over the years and add/amend it as needed.

Having said that I still managed to forget the cooking gas bottle and eggs once!

You can`t beat the good old list! Start it now and keep adding to it until you got every last little bit you might need on it.

I have kept my original list over the years and add/amend it as needed.

Having said that I still managed to forget the cooking gas bottle and eggs once!

I've been doing this... But I keep waking up in the middle of night panicking that I've forgotten to write something down! God knows what I'll be like the night before when I actually have to pack all my stuff!

I have a teeny tiny car, but have worked out that all my astro stuff fits nicely in the boot... Back seat will have to cope with all the camping gear!

Archived