Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 8 - General Banter

daz

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just realised sgl8 is 20 min drive canna wait,just have to remember to book,i still plan what to do with my lottery winnings problem is a dont buy tickets !! is there a worry that pitches will be hard to get i would sleep in my van if i can work it that way?any tips

thanks sam

is there a worry that pitches will be hard to get i would sleep in my van if i can work it that way?any tips

thanks sam

Hi

I noticed your comment about sleeping in the van. If you're serious then I have started a thread on car camping where I give tips (linky below). Hope it helps.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/162469-car-camping-an-alternative-to-tents/

i stick a double air bed in the back and have a proper bed with kettle micriwave stove etc at the other a few hot water bottles and im sorted so cold and uncomfy isnt a problem but i thought i might be far away from the rest of the party etc and is there any benefits to tenting it up to vanning it up thanks

thats what i was thinking, will it be seperate booking for tents and vans

I believe you will be given the option to book a pitch with or without electrical hook up on the assumption that the accommodation used will be either a tent, a caravan or a camper van. Those bringing caravans / camper vans are asked to use hard standing pitches.

At least that is the way it's worked in previous years. We need to respect and abide by the sites rules on pitch allocations etc so that we maintain the good relationship we have with them :smiley:

John is right - you'll need to book a pitch, a hard standing one if you intend to sleep in your van.

as for sharing, you can, but please check with me on numbers. The hard standings are generous sizes and you could easily get two vans onto one, plus there is a grass strip for your scopes to go on.

The camping pitches are also large enough to get a big tent onto, or a couple of smaller 4-berth size ones onto.

If you are unsure - please ask!

Hi Daz,

I agree with yourself and John, the pitches are generous in size.

If somebody is camping for more than 4 nights, Gary the site owner, would like them to move their tent to the other side of the pitch, so that the grass can recover in time for the Easter influx! Therefore, it would not be possible for these campers to share.

People staying less than the four nights could easily share. However, we must remember than the pitches are large for safety reasons, especially the possibility of fire.

But, it is still a great campsite.

Cheers

Adrian

i was planning on getting a pitch(hard standin now thanks for the info)for 4 nights i have a lwb transit but turns ito a make shift camper lol should i suggest when boking that i would share if helps if thers a pitch available for me in the first place or have i miss understood sorry fr being basic just want to get it right thanks sam

• 3 months later...

Interestingly, SGL8 might be the perfect time of the year to view comet PanSTARRS :) It'll be between 10-12deg altitude and still quite bright according to these predictions:

http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~dfischer/stories/panstarrs/matrix.html

Hereford will, however, be to our West. Might have to take the camera + tripod out for a trip in the car!

Two months and two weeks to go....

Better start drawing up the battle plans and setting up/testing the WiFi Co-op LAN. Its still a fresh lappy im using since the old one died (now got the Samsung series 3 with the AMD A10 trinity CPU), so I havent quite installed everything I need yet.

Not long to go now. With Christmas out of the way it`s time to start thinking about star parties. :icon_razz:

Another heads up is that I`m looking into an occultation of a star by Saturn which occurs during the small hours of Thurs/Fri (14th/15th).

However I don`t get there until Friday afternoon but for anyone else already there it could be an interesting observation.

According to the long range weather forecast the predicted temperatures and precipitation for the UK March are said to be average for the time of year. Though I'm not sure how accurate these predictions are!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed that the weather is as good as last years at SGL7.

http://northernirelandweatherforecast.weebly.com/uk--ireland---extreme-long-range-forecast.html

According to the long range weather forecast the predicted temperatures and precipitation for the UK March are said to be average for the time of year. Though I'm not sure how accurate these predictions are!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed that the weather is as good as last years at SGL7.

http://northernirela...e-forecast.html

fingers crossed for cold hard frosts and sunny days :)

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to get excited about this now, just been out to get a new tent as a great deal on the Gelert Saturn 4-man (chosen for suitability and cost - though the name fits for the event!!) at Argos, as the cheap 2man tent we have used previously for summer festivals is just not going to cut it in March weather!

Electric hook up ordered and have a nice incentive bonus in the form of vouchers that will cover some new cosy sleeping bags, bit of a Brucey! That just leaves a little fan heater to get before we are all set....oh and many times erecting/disassembling tent in practice :D

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Barry

I need a new tent as well, and sleeping bags, the ones we have just weren't good enough last year. I really hope the weather is as good as it was last year.

oh and I really hope the people in the house on the hill have bought some curtains!

Yep, starting to get rather excited too.

We already have a tent, and I have a very warm sleeping bag, airbed, LOTS of warm clothes, the best snowboots ever (been very useful these past few weeks, my feet have been proper toasty warm :) ), and some of those little self-heating hand warmer packs too. Still need to get some kind of insulated carpet type/groundsheet for under the airbed and I need to get a tent heater - if anyone has any recommendations for the heater that would be great.

Archived