Narrowband

dslr and 130 not compatable, so where next ?

They had a nice deal on at jessops for the 1100d so off I went and bought one, then found to my frustration that my skywatcher 130 will not allow the camera to focus (should have done my research) I was thinking of upgrading my scope as well anyway but really dont want to make another error and get one that will still not focus the dslr, so my questions are, is it only the 130`s that have this focus problem, if I went for a 200p would I be up and running or what would you recommend would be the next step up from the 130 that I can use the dslr with ?

Ta

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most newtonian telescopes have this problem to some extent. The bigger Skywatcher telescopes get round this by using a lower profile focuser. The smaller 130/650 and 130/900 don't have this focuser so you either need to use a barlow lens to move the point of focus outwards or move the primary mirror slightly up to tube. This may only require you to use longer collimating and locking bolts.

This video shows why the barlow works and how to attach a DSLR to the larger telescopes

Peter

Ring someone like Ian King and ask if it is possible/necessary to get a replacement bit - shorter tube in the focuser being the thought.

FLO might know and have the bit but I have never managed to get FLO to answer a phone and you need to ask a question not leave a message.

It was for precisely that reason of limited back focus I bought the PDS version of the skywatcher 150.

Works fine with my DSLR but I do have to faff arround with adaptors to modify the position of focus with my eyepeieces. Surprisingly the one eyepiece that works straight out of the box is the skywatcher 25mm supplied with the scope.

I've heard, if you're prepared to give it a try, that you could move the primary mirror up the tube a little and that will allow you to reach focus with the SLR. You could also try removing the end of the drawtube, it should unscrew to reveal a t thread, and attach the t adapter directly to that..

I've heard both options discussed, but as I've never owned or used a Newt, I can't confirm...

Excuse the noob question but I have a question. :) I always thought prime focus (when you attach the camera directly to the scope through a t-mount and t-adapter, meant you didn't have any EPs in the path.

So you're saying you can have an EP in the scope and still attach a dSLR?

Yes you can. You can connect a camera body to some eyepieces or use an adapter, this method is called eyepiece projection.

Peter

i had exactly the same problem on my 200p and canon dslr,the solution was to get these from bern at modernastronomy.

TS adaptor for skywatcher scopes @ £35

35mm ext for 2" focusers @ £18

orion self centering adaptor (2" - 1.25") @ £31

£3 delivery...solved my dslr focusing problem easily.

the eq5 with a 200p and a dslr is really at the limit for the mount.if you are going down the astrophotography route then at some point you will probably want a guided setup and the eq5 isnt up to the job.maybe you need to consider an Neq5 or an Neq6.

as already stated, with the 130P there are a cpl of options.

use a barlow, this works but depending on the size of the target may not be suitable as it magnifies it (obviously)

Yes, you can screw the eyepiece holder off the draw tube to reveal a thread, but it's not a std T thread. I made a modified insert for my T adaptor so I could attach my 1100D this way, but still could not get prime focus (just short)

That left me 2 more options - remove some of the 'top' of the focuser body, to allow more inward travel, or move the primary up the tube a bit.

In the end I decided to get an ED100 refractor to use with my DSLR and use the 130P for visual/webcam imaging of moon/planets.

Just my 2p

Rick

ah ha, I have unscrewed the top of the scope focuser/eyepiece holder and taken out the two eyepiece retaining screws and my camera t piece screws directly onto it without needing to use the T piece adaptor, thats given me approx 15mm more inward travel, might still not be enough, will give it a test tonight. Its still gonna cost me tho, have already told my nephew im getting him a telescope and hes all excited...

• 3 months later...

15 mm more travel should do it for you , i bet you can now focus your camera !!! hope it goes well ...

nope lol just tried it on my 130p with my 7d and still just short! nice tho as i didnt know the eye focuser thing unscrewed to reveal a t piece lol shame as its still just short of enough inward focus, if it would have worked would have been great, i simply attain prime focus by using the dslr with the SW x2 barlow, great only thing like this setup i dont like is when im taking pics of the moon as you cant fit it all in frame with the increased mag from the barlow lol

nope lol just tried it on my 130p with my 7d and still just short! nice tho as i didnt know the eye focuser thing unscrewed to reveal a t piece lol shame as its still just short of enough inward focus, if it would have worked would have been great, i simply attain prime focus by using the dslr with the SW x2 barlow, great only thing like this setup i dont like is when im taking pics of the moon as you cant fit it all in frame with the increased mag from the barlow lol

But I bet you could make some great moon mosaics!

Archived