Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which type of Collimator?

Finally my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p has arrived (still in box) :) So So happy and excited :) :) :):p :p

As for a collimator. I am really confused. Theres laser and Cheshire so which do I need? Whats the difference? What do you prefer?

Thanks for your time everyone! x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Cheshire collimator is recomended for beginers. Laser collimators only work well if:

a) the focuser tube is really well aligned with the optical axis of the scope

B) the laser inside the collimator is alighned with it's own housing

c) you can centre the laser collimator well in the focuser.

If any of the above are wrong you could end up de-collimating the primary, so use with caution.

I have had my first reflector for just a few weeks now. I find a Cheshire very simple to use for aligning the primary mirror, I can do this in the dark whilst setting up my scope by shining my red torch into the angled face of the Cheshire (thanks to a tip on this forum). I also use a collimation cap, just a spare focusser blanking cap with a small hole drilled through the centre, when aligning the secondary as I can't see the all three primary mirror clips through the Cheshire.

Cheshire is cheap and easy to use. I bought one of the most expensive lasers available and I rarely use it as the cheshire gives me better results. Besides for the cost of a good laser colli you can get a cheshire and still have money left for 1 decent EP.

OK I'll go with the Cheshire one. Now where do I find really simple clear instructions? ...like 'collimating for dummies'..........?????

Astrosurf - I am not sure of any pitfalls using a cap or old film canister, sounds interesting, I am just a complete beginner and all the books/forums say to get a Cheshire. I've read some people can use their telescopes out the box, whilst others have had big problems with the mirrors being out. (thet'll probably be me)

Clear Skies everyone xx

The best guide I've used is Astro Babys Guide to Collimation.

She's brilliant. I've also used the Orion Telescopes video on YoutTube. That's what got me collimated as I can see clearly what they mean. I can't get hold of the link at work as the network blocks YouTube. I'm pretty certain it was Orion! It's given by the young American guy, so have a search if you're interested. I'll try to remember to post the link tonight.

i used a film canister for about the first 3 mths and to be honest i was getting pretty good results, however, since getting a cheshire the proces is so much quicker and it removes any uncertainty as to whether or not i've got it right.

+1 for astrobabys guide.

Scott

Cheshire. You can use a laser in a Barlow to fine tune the collimation. This will throw up the reflection of the centre circle on the primary.

Most of your niggles will be with the primary and not the secondary.It's an elegant check, independant of the slop in the focuser.

I've just driven 350 miles roundtrip with the 200 Skyliner beteween the back seats, collimation held.Neat,

Nick.

is that guide really full of errors ? i watched the shot glass video,it is a nice easy to follow guide . i still thought a/b's guide helpfull. i suppose it helps knowing 99% of the time its only the final part that need s doing , the primary, shoukldnt need to mess with the secondary to often.

Which ever guide you use, (don't fall out people, lifes to short) just have a go and try and think it through as you do it, understanding the principle and what is required will do you more good than following a guide book.

Maybe to you. I do not see them. List few. If you can't then stop making these comments about AB's collimation guide.

It's a free forum and I'm not breaking any rules.

I'm not listing them for you if you cannot remember your manners. They cost nothing!

TheThing

Archived