Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The left hand one of the Double Cluster

Cloudwatcher

Saturday night was one of those all too rare occasions when the skies in my area where quite transparent even towards the NE and the main road. I took the opportunity to spend quite some time having a look at the Double Cluster particularity the left hand component (which appeared on the right as I was using the ST150 ;)) and was sure I could discern even at low magnification (40mm EP) two or three of the Red Giants that inhabit the area.

I have taken images of the double cluster before but they have had to be very wide field to get everything in and the stars tend to merge together. I thought I'd just try a short exposure of NGC884 using a X2 Barlow attached to the 350d through the diagonal (didn't fancy kneeling on wet grass) to see if I could capture the brightest of the stars. I was quite pleased with the result, OK,they aren't pin points of light but most of the star remained as individuals and the red jobs stand out well although some are out of frame unfortunatly.

Will try again and hope to do better when it moves round to a darker area.

CW

That looks real nice CW, and the older stars are conspicuous. what f ratio were you at with the x2 Barlow here? f10 f16 ?.

The stars look OK to me, after all, they are huge suns, and their size on the image matters not a jot. All stars are pinpoint, but impossible to reproduce as such through optical systems and onto film or chip. Especially the very bright ones.

It's a way to study the sword Handle, bit by bit. Might be worth building up a mosaic of it. Take a while mind you, and a big wall ;)

Ron.

Hi Ron. I guess the f ratio would work out at f16 bearing in mind that the scope is f5 and the 350D is usually quoted as x1.6 plus the x2 barlow. The focal length of the scope is 750mm so with the combination used the magnification would be something like x48. I'm not sure if the use of the diagonal affects the figures,do you?

If you do it will be helpful information to have for the future.

Cheers

CW

In the sequence Diagonal 1 Barlow 2 Camera 3. Then no, But of course you would not put them any other combination would you?.

By the way CW, do you have a PowerMate, and if so, at what multiplication, and what do you reckon to it? I don't see one in your equipment list, but you might have got one since you posted that list.

Ron. ;)

By the way CW, do you have a PowerMate, and if so, at what multiplication, and what do you reckon to it? I don't see one in your equipment list, but you might have got one since you posted that list.

Ron. :wink:

Sorry Ron, I don't have a PowerMate so I can't make any useful comments. Got a PaperMate if that's any help. ;)

No,seriously,the amount of use it would get would not justify the cost. If I want to get up close and personal when observing I tend to use the Mak with a 5mm EP or a Zoom, the latter gives very interesting views of the moon. With a 1500mm focal length and a 5mm EP the Mak will give a magnification of 300x which is generally more than enough for the view from my back yard. I'm magnifying the murk between me and the subject by the same amount and high magnification can then prove counter productive.

Cheers

CW

Ron. :wink:

Sorry Ron, I don't have a PowerMate so I can't make any useful comments. Got a PaperMate if that's any help. ;)

No,seriously,the amount of use it would get would not justify the cost. If I want to get up close and personal when observing I tend to use the Mak with a 5mm EP or a Zoom, the latter gives very interesting views of the moon. With a 1500mm focal length and a 5mm EP the Mak will give a magnification of 300x which is generally more than enough for the view from my back yard. I'm magnifying the murk between me and the subject by the same amount and high magnification can then prove counter productive.

Cheers

CW

Ta Mate.

Nice capture with the subtle colours.

"Left hand one" of double cluster .. :nono: tut tut. ;) That would be the Western (or Eastern if you were using a diagonal)

Sorry, couldn't resist

Vega

Resistance is useless! :wink:

Right,lets see if I've got that right,left is West unless it's through a frac' when it's East and right,right?

CW

Sounds right to me unless your using a diagonal on a frac... that would make right left and left right, right. So it would be right to say that East can sometimes be left and west can sometimes be right... even tho in real terms that wouldn't be right ;)

Vega

Sounds right to me unless your using a diagonal on a frac... that would make right left and left right, right. ;)

Vega

Actually Vega that's not quite right! Through a frac' left is right and right is left,right but right and left are also upside down. Use a diagonal and left is still right and right left but the right way up,all right? :wink:

Cheers

(from your crosseyed ambidextrous)

CW

Beautiful colours CW.........

I really love the black bits to!!! ;)

Sorry matey, I had to say something silly!

JV

Not at all JV!

I know you as a gentleman of great perception and recognised immediately the subtle way in which you were drawing the attention of reader to the essential role played by black in bringing cohesion to the overall effect and indeed adding that vital element which holds the entire image together.

That was what you meant, wasn't it? :wink:

CW

Archived