SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help identifying an object

It's bound to happen sooner or later, i finally point up at the heavens and i see something i dont understand.

The object in question was travelling extremely fast considering its height. Was very dim could barely make it out among the stars. The only thing that made it stand out was its speed against the background. It travelled in a straight trajectory, no slowing of movement or changing of speed. It had a slight orangey reddish colour but no flashing lights that could be seen. Looked very high up. It passed fairly close to where i imagine Andromeda should have been before passing through Casseopeia to be exact in between Caph1 and Shedir (1Cas). It then faded out of my vision as head (east?) of polaris. I am terrible at co-ordination at the moment and this is currently the best i can achieve. I watched it in the sky probably for just over a minute.

It did seem to get brighter and dimmer as it was travelling and i couldn't see any clouds in that part of the sky, it was a single object and no others followed that i saw.

My co-ordinates are Lattitude: 53.64754 Longtitude: -1.76575

Time was around 10pm

Any answers appreciated!

Looks as though you saw a satellite, from your description and the way it disappeared, ( as it entered Earths shadow).

Some are quite faint, and can vary in brightness as the tumble through space, also if they are in the right location, with the Sun's rays passing through the Earths atmosphere can cause the orangey reddish colour. ( Just think of clouds as the sun sets below the horizon.)

naz

I saw something similar although this one passed between Gamma Cas. and Rushbah heading East and quite by chance I had checked the time a few second earlier at just before 9.58 pm. It was quite bright but I can't say I noticed any particular colouration. Anyway, having read your post I checked Starry Night which confirmed Formosat 3D at mag 4 is almost certainly what I saw. I couldn't find another satellite within the same time frame heading north towards Polaris but then there are thousands of the little devils wandering about up there.

CW

I was amazed at how many satellites there are! I was looking for the best time to see something on Starry Nights and had speeded up the motion - the satellites were coming and going all over the place like ping pong!

Helen

I was amazed at how many satellites there are! I was looking for the best time to see something on Starry Nights and had speeded up the motion - the satellites were coming and going all over the place like ping pong!

Helen

More like on going sporadic meteors Helen. ;)

Ron.

Archived