Narrowband

M27 First Light with Vixen VC200L and Modded Canon EOS20D

earlybird

Well this was taken about a week ago and captured with DSLRFocus.

I have been playing around since trying to import the RAW's and debayer them and stack in Maxim.

Finally got there after many a problem including my 2GB ram PC running out of memory a lot.

Anyway purchased the Vixen VC200L secondhand and converted the EOS20D myself.

Have not got the Focal reducer yet so this was at F9.

Vixen VC200L at F9 Eos20d modded guided by WOZS66 and DSi Pro

10 subs of 2 mins and 10 subs of 3 mins

No filter apart from the Baader one in the 20D

Hardly any tweaking apart from trying to get the colour right.

John

post-13094-133877331613_thumb.jpg

Here is a image I took the next night with a Meade SN10.

Used the same Eos20D camera, guiding was with a Vixen 70mm and DSI Pro.

This time used a Baader Neodymium filter.

About 12 subs of 3 mins.

Think the core looks a bit burnt out ?

Very little if any processing.

John

post-13094-133877331619_thumb.jpg

Excellent John. Certainly 2 very flat fields. Tracking looks good at that long f/l as well

Very interested in your experience of the Vixen since this is a scope I'm interested in when moving to a larger format CCD (not for a little while yet). How did you get on collimating it?

Excellent John. Certainly 2 very flat fields. Tracking looks good at that long f/l as well

Very interested in your experience of the Vixen since this is a scope I'm interested in when moving to a larger format CCD (not for a little while yet). How did you get on collimating it?

Thanks for all your comments.

Well Martin, I have only had the scope a week or two and I have made a guide scope rail for it, fitted a Skywatcher motor focus to it (which fitted without any mods) and ordered the focal reducer from the states.

Collimation is very good, so I have not had to tweak it, but I have downloaded about 3 or 4 sets of instructions which I can Email you if you want to have a read. It is supposed to stay collimated quite well.

John

I've had heard it was a beast to collimate because of the 3 adjustments but once sorted it stays sorted. A guy had one at Kelling and told me the trick is not to fiddle with the draw tube. Don't send me any instructions now John cos I'll loose them! What would be really good is if you could do a review for us after you have had a bit of time using the scope. They do sound really good and exceptional value for money. Have you had chance to see how it performs visually?

Both excellent images. Really clean for a DSLR mod'd or not. The first would benefit from a nice flat or pixinsight would probably do a good job.

The second really is a corker and I am sure that the core is just suffering due to the processing, (I note that you have done v.little processing) It'd be a shame if you got saturation that quickly, (good news for the fainter stuff though).

Lovely stuff, really like the second

Anthony

I've had heard it was a beast to collimate because of the 3 adjustments but once sorted it stays sorted. A guy had one at Kelling and told me the trick is not to fiddle with the draw tube. Don't send me any instructions now John cos I'll loose them! What would be really good is if you could do a review for us after you have had a bit of time using the scope. They do sound really good and exceptional value for money. Have you had chance to see how it performs visually?

Yes, I have heard it is difficult to collimate, hence downloaded everything I could find.

Well I don't use scopes visually Martin, except a quick test terrestially, normally of ships.

I bought it for it's large format CCD ability. I hope to get the focal reducer within a week from the states, it arrived with my mate in California Today and I have a new toy arriving later this week, so it will get well used from then, weather permitting.

So if you would like a review from an imager's point of view, I can do one, once I have used it a bit.

John

Archived