sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

First lunar photo attempt

Nice picture, congrats. Did you try to adjust the colours or why does it have this purple tinge? It's difficult to judge whether the focus is sharp as there are no craters to see - the Moon is almost full. But the crater peaks at the very top edge of the Moon show that you've captured detail there.

• Like 1

Hey, that's a good start, well done.

Can you tell us a bit about how you did it? What scope, what camera (presumably the scope and camera in your signature), the camera settings and how you processed it? We're real nosey about that sort of thing - lol :laugh:

• Like 1

Hey,

Thanks for the comments guys (forgot to thank you Dipper in my last post). I took a set of 15 still images and made a composite image using registax. Then I sharpened and played about with some settings in photoshop (wasnt quite sure what I was doing to be honest). The scope I used was a Skywatcher Explorer 130m eq2. The camera was a nikon D3100. I also used a x2 barlow. I cant remember what the camera settings were set at, I took the photos a few weeks ago. You are a nosy bunch but that fine by me along as am gaining some knowledge :)

Thanks

When you are done with stacking images in Registax and the final image is composed you go to the Wavelets settings. That's where most of the tuning of the image is done. I'd recommend saving the stacked image somewhere so that you can compare how a "virgin" image looks compared to whatever the Moon will look like after you've experimented with the wavelet settings. Most of it is trial and error as you can only use somebody else's settings for your own images in a very limited way. The settings that will make the Moon pleasing to your eye will depend of the equipment used, seeing conditions, Moon phase and so on. But there are many tutorials on processing Moon with Registax, here's one

• Like 2