Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam with a Dob mount.....

SoulFrenzy

I understand that with a Dob 75% of photography is out of the question. But with a webcam or the Orion StarShoot Camera would it still be possible to grab some decent lunar and planetary images? Astrophotography is what got me into this hobby and its killing me to not be able to take pics of something. Even if its just down to lunar pics only I am ok with that.

Don't see why not. Even without an equatorial platform, if you let, say, Jupiter drift from one side of the frame to the other, even nudging the scope just a fraction to keep it in the frame if you can, you could process a captured video with PIPP and stack the frames.

I've not done it myself, but I've seen images from people who have. It's tricky, but not impossible.

James

I have a Dob on a driven mount which obviously makes life easier as it tracks and keeps the object in the view. But I've done some reasonable images with a webcam, see threads below for my efforts over the last week. I did see something a while back that was captured on a manual dob by nudging to keep the object in view.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/161513-moon-mosaic-8-sep-2012/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/162083-my-best-jupiters-so-far-15-sep-2012/

Thanks for the imput...... I know that I have the wrong scope entirely for taking pictures, but I just love the idea of capturing an imaging of something out in space. As the old saying goes "Where there is a will, there is a way", and believe me I do not know when to quit on an idea. My wife has a DSLR camera and I was already looking at the Orion camera mount and try to take pictures afocal focus that way.

Archived