How would the...

Tom2012

Hello everyone!

I managed to squeeze 5 minutes observing in last night (thought the gaps in the clouds) and came across a busy part of the sky roughly S.E of Cassiopeia which had a similar nebular effect to Orions Nebula. Had a look at my app on the phone and it was in the same rough position as the California Nebula!

I've no idea of it was or not! Haha

Hi Tom

If it was indeed the California Nebula, that's an extraordinarily good bit of observing. The California nebula is a notoriously difficult object usually requiring an H-Beta filter, and a rich field scope from very dark skies indeed. May I enquire what kit you were using and from where did you observe?

Hi Tom

If it was indeed the California Nebula, that's an extraordinarily good bit of observing. The California nebula is a notoriously difficult object usually requiring an H-Beta filter, and a rich field scope from very dark skies indeed. May I enquire what kit you were using and from where did you observe?

That's what is getting me to believe it was just a dense part of the sky hah. I'm only using a pair of 15x70 Celestron Skymaster binoculars.

I'm taking my doubts further and have come to the conclusion it couldn't have been! If its clear tonight I'll take another look!

Thanks for your help!

Tom.

The California Nebula is the opposite side of Perseus from Cassiopeia, isn't it? Were you that far away from it, or could you be confusing what you saw with something else? There's quite a lot of "stuff" around Cassiopeia.

James

The California Nebula is the opposite side of Perseus from Cassiopeia, isn't it? Were you that far away from it, or could you be confusing what you saw with something else? There's quite a lot of "stuff" around Cassiopeia.

James

I may be confusing it with something else. It was in the south easy region of Cassiopeia.

Not too worry. Thanks for your help everyone!

Tom.

I have spotted the California Nebula once, and it is very hard, requiring excellent skies. I only really spotted it by realizing the top and bottom bit of the FOV in my C8 (using a 31T5, at 65.5x and 1.25 deg FOV) were consistently darker than the middle, and that the brighter (or rather "less dark") central region moved with the stars when I tweaked the declination axis. I think you may have seen something else.

I have been thinking about this a bit more. As James said, the California Nebula is actually closer to Taurus that Cassiopeia (the bright star near it called Menkib means "shoulder" as in shoulder of the Pleiades), so it sounds like you were not really in the right place to view the California Nebula. I wonder if perhaps you picked up one of the brighter regions of the Milky Way that can be seen in the Perseus / Cassiopeia region of the sky?

Archived