SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Multitude of PHD Problems (Maybe!!)

SniffTheGlove

I exposure was 2.5secs when I started this thread. Not sure where 1ms came from George?

I re-read the thread and I dont know where i got the 1ms from either :grin:

As a footnote, most people start fiddling with settings when their guiding goes sour from a otherwise working setup......most of the time just altering exposure times does the trick or simply picking another star.

Seeing can change by the minute or moving to a different altitude will all effect your guiding so be prepared to change your exposures to suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have recently got myself set up for guiding, and so far I have only used guiding through the camera, having it connected via the st4 port. The reason behind this is it should be simpler - less settings to have to deal with through the ascom set up- until I eventually get to grips with guiding etc. So far it has been pretty sucessfull. If you are struggling then it may be worth switching over to the "on camera" method just until you know you have everything else set up fine, then switch over to ascome pulse guiding where you can then start to fine tune everything. As suggested above switch your frame rate up too.

Dunno if your problem is sorted, my experience with Autoguides is about 10 minutes, ST80 + Lodestar, aligned the ST80 so what ever the main scope looked at in this case Vega, it shown in the ST80 off centre (top left) , connected the guide cable Lddestar to ST4 port on the NEQ6, run PHD, selected the Starlight Option, click on the "On Camera" focused the ST80 in the PHD screen selected a star near the centre, it worked 10 minute sub nice round stars used a Cannon 1100D plus Liveview to image, all the PHD setting where there left at there default. Just waiting on the weather now to get out and do some more....

Because we had such a clear blue sky day yesterday got everything ready and sorted. Opened up the Obsy around 7pm and was ready for darkness. The moon was up so I managed to observer this for a while until it got dark enough. Switched on PHD and started the QHY5 and then a huge cloud bank rolled in over the hill and that was the end of the night. Frustrations

I had a similar thing happen. Partly because of reading this thread, I'd tweaked my PHD settings and was keen to try them out. No sooner was I ready than a huge cloudbank rolled over. Luckily I checked sat24.com and saw that it was probably going to pass over eventually, and sure enough it left at about 2200.

The new settings worked well, incidentally...

I had a similar thing happen. Partly because of reading this thread, I'd tweaked my PHD settings and was keen to try them out. No sooner was I ready than a huge cloudbank rolled over. Luckily I checked sat24.com and saw that it was probably going to pass over eventually, and sure enough it left at about 2200.

The new settings worked well, incidentally...

Glad the thread helped you once the clouds for you disappeared.

Frustrations for me again.

Clear night last night.

I have an ST80 on my rig now so I was able to drift align better and now the scope puts my rig right onto the object.

Cranked up PHD with new settings (with pulse guiding) and after 5 mins of calibrating with 4sec exposures we started to guide. I brought up the graph only to see the red dec immediate start to step down and off the bottom of the graph. So my problem still exists.

I went over to the mount and plugged in the ST4 cable, changed EQMod to take pulse guiding off, changed PHD to be On camera and tried again. The same thing happened again with the Dec.

I spent 2 hours going back and fro with PHD with no luck so It is going to take awhile for me to sort this out I think. Just wish it could be done in daylight and warmer!

Archived