Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Hex

Stargazing Live 2013

I don't know if this old news but according to that great academic source of knowledge Wikipedia, Stargazing Live returns on 7th - 9th January.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Expect astro equipment supplies to run dry during the 2nd half of January then !

Thanks for the heads up :smiley:

Expect astro equipment supplies to run dry during the 2nd half of January then !

Thanks for the heads up :smiley:

and an influx of items on ebay a month or two after that? ;)

• Like 6

Ummm yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Has there been that much of an increase in ebay telescope sales in the post Stargazing Live period over the last couple of years? I expected it, but I can't say that I've particularly noticed anything substantial.

James

I think other than the dry period after SG Live it's a really good outreach to novices or beginners. Though, i don't think Darah O'Brian/Breen/Brean (whatever), i don't think he fits awfully well; bring in Pete Lawrence or something.

And one year. Just one year. Wouldn't it be nice if they actually got some clear sky and could talk about, you know, stargazing?

James

• Like 2

There has been precious little opportunity during the last two years programmes as far as I recall.

James

There has been precious little opportunity during the last two years programmes as far as I recall.

James

They caught a meteor in a live segment if I remember correctly?

James

Really? I know the first one was pretty much a complete washout so far as clear skies went. Though II seem to remember that the 2012 SG-Live had lots of clear skies, but the programme ignored it almost completely and just ploughed ahead with their prearranged running order.

However, from the positive comments that people posted here, the viewers seemed to prefer the polished presentation about cosmology / astrophysics to one about using telescopes an' stuff. The lack of actual stargazing was barely mentioned in the discussions. :confused:

The thing is, watching other people stargaze doesn't make for exciting TV.

I enjoyed 2012 as they were casually talking about science and physics, answering questions we would ask rather than a prearranged set of Q&A. They have good demonstrations as well. I thought Dara did a good job complimenting the science of Brian with humour.

Yea i also don't get what Dara is contributing to the show apart from trying to be funny. They need someone else.....what about Brian May ? at least he has honors degree in astrophysics and he could play some riff's as they stargaze :)

Yea i also don't get what Dara is contributing to the show apart from trying to be funny. They need someone else.....what about Brian May ? at least he has honors degree in astrophysics and he could play some riff's as they stargaze :)

Dara has a degree in mathematics and theoretical physics so he should know a bit about a subject and be a bit funny.

I like him being there, better than say a Ross.

• Like 1

You are aware that Dara O'Briain has a degree in Maths and Theoretical Physics?

James

..actually dont know if its a degree...

It is, from Dublin uni, as far as I'm aware. I recall him talking about it on a radio programme some time ago I'm sure.

James

Looking forward to early Jan, our club will probably be busy doing an astro event some where in Wiltshire? We have Mark Thompson giving a talk in December about the Scenes behind TV Astronomy, that could be a good in site to the programme to be aired in Jan.

Would be nice to have a clear sky on the night, maybe asking too much?

Peter

Looking forward to early Jan, our club will probably be busy doing an astro event some where in Wiltshire? We have Mark Thompson giving a talk in December about the Scenes behind TV Astronomy, that could be a good in site to the programme to be aired in Jan.

Would be nice to have a clear sky on the night, maybe asking too much?

Peter

How dare you ask for clear skies, you know better! :p

Dara has a degree in mathematics and theoretical physics so he should know a bit about a subject and be a bit funny.

I like him being there, better than say a Ross.

I agree. The programmes are meant to reach out to potential stargazers amongst other things, which requires humour. Dara fits the bill perfectly.

I also really liked the aftershows. Very entertaining!

• Like 1

And Brian May has a PhD in Astrophysics. I think his doctorate was in Inter-planetary dust or something!

Quite. Both of them are sufficiently academically qualified for the job. It's not like DO'B was just wheeled in because they needed someone to lighten the programme up but otherwise would have had nothing relevant to offer.

James