SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Knowing our place

The Warthog

Hope this isn't old news. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10385928/

I wonder what life would be like if we were in one of the spiral arms, instead of between arms. Would it simply be a matter of having more things to see at night? Would we be cooked by the radiation from other stars? Would we see more, or less of the things outside the galaxy? Would Canada still suck at football? All these questions!

I wonder what life would be like if we were in one of the spiral arms, instead of between arms.

Its that sense of wonder that first got me interested in astro. 

(Am I the only one to wonder what it would be like if our sun was part of a globular cluster?  I bet we'd need some serious sunglasses :clouds2:)

Steve

(Am I the only one to wonder what it would be like if our sun was part of a globular cluster? I bet we'd need some serious sunglasses :clouds2:)

Steve

Have you read "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov?

You have to read it! I'm not going to give it away, :clouds2: although I have read it several times, and heard it performed as a radio play, and it doesn't get tired. It was also made into a movie, but it didn't get much circulation. You should find it in any anthology of classic s-f short stories.

(Am I the only one to wonder what it would be like if our sun was part of a globular cluster? I bet we'd need some serious sunglasses :clouds2:)

Steve

Have you read "Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov?

Yep, I've read it. Very, very good book.

(I'll say no more...... :clouds2:)

Archived