Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath - Pictures

centroid

Went up to Kelling Heath for the day yesterday, accompanied by Roger (Celescope).

The weather was superb (warm & sunny), and the it was real nice to meet so many other SGL members. Roger and I were made to feel really welcome and a nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet.

I hope I haven't forgotten anybody but here's who was there:

Grant

Ant

Daz

Greg

Steve

Kai Herb

MartinB

MikeP

Lunator

Whiplash

Peonic

SteveL

Bern

Stargazer 1980 (Darren) and Mrs Darren

Stardust (Dave)

Greg and Daz were doing a great job of 'feeding the masses', with Greg 'looking the part' in a neat little white pinafore, with the SGL logo printed on it.

From what we were told, the Friday night was really clear, with members staying up most of the night. In MartinB's case, I believe he carried on imaging round until 05.00 hrs on Saturday morning. When Roger and got there, around 10.30, Martin was up and about again.

Unfortunately Chris (Peonic) had to 'pack up' and go back home on Saturday afternoon, as young Peonic Junior, who was at home with Mum, was unwell. Hope all is ok Chris?.

A dusk began to fall on Saturday night, the broken cloud started to 'melt away', and the stars started to appear in countless numbers. As it got completely dark, the Milky Way was unbelievably prominent, and it became difficult to 'pick out' the constellations from among the shear mass of stars.

Everyone was avidly observing and imaging, and making the most of the superb dark skies at Kelling.

By the time Roger and I left for home (around mid-night), M45 was quite high in the sky, Orion was rising in the East, and we had enjoyed a really great day, and night, among good company, and enjoyed a really clear dark sky.

Thanks to all our SGL 'campers' at Kelling, for making us so welcome and for allowing us the pleasure of your company.

Here are a few pictures that I took during the day.

Dave

post-13389-13387733155_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877331556_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877331561_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877331567_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T'riffic pics Dave ;). Was an absolute pleasure to meet your good self and Rog and a personal thanks from me for showing Phil some of the basics and use of the binos. Finally hit the hay at 1.30 which is late enough for me (early riser), had a couple of hours sleep then went to the toilet at 5.00 and there was SteveL, Martin and Daz still imaging away! That's dedication for you... I've seen a couple of images that they've captured and they've got a few gorgeous ones I can tell you.

I'm sure you remember doing the Red Field tour with me and Phil, well later on me and Darren (Stagazer 1980) ambled over there and had a quick look though that Tak Mewlon 300 (the one next to the giant Meade) on M13 and M31 and in a word, wow!! Serious gear but serious views!

I'm condsidering myself to be a lucky boy just going for the one night and the sky being the way it was. Never seen it like that before and something that I'm not going to forget in a hurry. Better book up for next year!!

Tony..

I can only say, its one of the best days i have had , the gang there really made Dave and myself at home ,and fantastic to meet the faces behind the names,as its been said i for one have never seen skies like that ever, my real first look at the milky way in all its glory.

the Chefs look to be making a cracking job at feeding the group ., although offered i had to turn the food down , as i have a funny tummy , lol , so no offence Cooks ,

It was also nice to be involved and help a few .especially Mike P, who after a few small tutorials ,turned out a few nice images , look foward to seeing them,

Martin B was well away, getting the RGB for his M31 having got the Lum part friday night. so will look foword the that , And Steve (KAI) turned out a cracking M27 , and was getting to grips with M51 just before Dave and myself left for home .

So all in all a great day , and many thanks to Dave for those lovely images , well done for that , and also thanks Dave for taking me there .

Cheers

Rog,

Unfortunately Chris (Peonic) had to 'pack up' and go back home on Saturday afternoon, as young Peonic Junior, who was at home with Mum, was unwell. Hope all is ok Chris?.

Sorry for running out on you guys - the nipper had an adverse reaction to some of the jabs he had on Thursday, and Mum was getting more than a little stressed. All is fine now though ( I reckon he was just missing his Dad!).

That Kelling sky really was something else - I've never seen the Milky Way looking that bright before - made me almost depressed to go outside last night back at home to see the familiar orange glow of Ipswich. Was great to meet everyone - and I'd like to say a big thankyou for Greg and his little helpers for keeping my belly full - and Kai for the loan of the airbed, even if I didn't manage to get it fully inflated.

Chris

That's a grand stock of images you have provided Dave. It as obviously been a great success Kelling, and that's great.

Thanks for putting the names to the faces, at least I will have an Idea who's who at SGL4.

I am now waiting with eager anticipation for the astro pics. to appear. It sounds as thougth we are in for a treat.

Well done everyone, and I am so glad it was a good un.

Ron. ;)

you left me and the misses off the list

darren:)

I knew I forget someone, sorry about that Darren, and to Mrs Darren of course.

No excuse really, as I 'posted' the picture of you 'stuffing your face' :(

Hope your 'backend' cools down real soon, if not sitting in a bucket of cold water might help. :wink:

Hope you had a pleasant journey home, without having make too many emergency stops to visit the toilet. ;)

Dave

What a wonderful few days. If you've never been to an SGL star party, you have missed great company, constant laughter, wonderful food and the odd interruption to do a bit of astronomy. Don't be scared if you are a beginner - "all the gear but no idea" fits me perfectly, but I was treated as an equal and received loads of help. Particular thanks are due to Roger (CELESCOPE) and Dave (CENTROID) - but I'll be detailing what they helped me do in a separate post - for now, I'll just say "it was awesome". Meanwhile, a few pictures:

Here's Darren up a tree - he'd do anything to get out of the washing up. In fairness, he did his share after a bit of mickey taking eg "is there anyone over six feet tall who'd like to volunteer for washing up".

1326_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

This one shows Grant trying to find bugs in the forum code. Just check out the size of his new Canon lens - he had to lean it against an EQ6 to steady it.

1327_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Here's Daz admiring MartinB's bum while pretending to adjust his scope.

1328_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

If you look past Steve (KaiHerb) and Greg who are busily working away at essential star party tasks, you'll see Tracy (Daz's boss) taking it easy. Wives should be inspired to attend by this, because you are especially welcome and don't have to lift a finger. ;)

1329_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Finally, a picture from elsewhere at Kelling showing that Right Said Fred is alive and well and doing a bit of modest stargazing.

1330_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks everyone for just being what you are - a great group of people.

Mike

Some piccies from me

1352_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Greg was "guarding" the Flt110

1353_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Kai was "guarding" his dads beer ;)

1351_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Flo's delivery van

1349_normal.jpeg