Videocam with IR filter removal - beginner needs help

nakSatra

Hello all,

very nice forum you have here!

I'm a beginner in stargazing and am looking into getting a videocam with high enough sensitivity and get the infared filter removal. I know getting a videocamera, esp. in my budget range, is a compromise. This is a conscious move as I will be using the videocam for other purposes as well, not just pointing it at the sky.

However, I've found that while instructions and services for DSLR-cameras' IR filter removal are plentiful, there is scant information or services for removing IR/UV-filters from videocams.

Yes, I could buy an APS-C DSLR, but the economics - esp in the optics are not on my side. Also, for my other use, I need the video features that most cheap DSLRs do not offer me.

So, with that said, or written, does anybody know of how to take apart fairly modern sub $700USD videocams (Canon, Sony) and remove the IR filters? Or know of a service that offers removal for videocams?

I have already contacted Kolari Vision and maxmac.com, but neither offer this service to modern Canon camcorders. Even if they did, I'd need to provide them with a full service manual, for which I have no access.

Not being gadget break-down expert or very good in fixing broken electronics (esp. surface mounted components), I feel a little quesy about taking the camcorder apart myself.

Do you have any ideas on how to go about this?

The camcorder in question is Canon Vixia HF M52, which has the best low light noise figures I've been able to find in my price range (in pf30 shoot mode at nominal "full HD" resolution).

Archived