Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Binoculars.

DazC

Hi all,

I'm after a pair of binoculars and have been looking at the Celestron 25x70.

They are going for £70 on Amazon.

Has anyone any experience with these binoculars?

Is this a good price?

And can anyone recomend any better for that price?

Any feedback much appreciated.

D.C

I can't say if there any good or not but you will need a stable tripod with the right sort of mount for them, My personal choice for viewing the night sky would be around 10 X 60 as these could be hand held and make for a much better viewing experience....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-quantum-4-binoculars.html

Just remember that you get what you pay for. For £70 you're getting 2 objectives, 2 eyepieces, a focusing mechanism, a set of prisms etcetc.

To be honest, i imagine the optics are more than acceptable, the price will likely only affect robustness. Ie. a nasty knock might move the prisms etc whereas more expensive binos would survive. Assuming you wont be throwing them down the stairs, the only problem that may arise is if they get knocked about in the post and you have to send them back. Certainly worth a punt at that price, its some decent aperture for binoviewing. :)

Unless you have a very good tripod with either a fluid or geared head, size and weight could well become an issue. The field of view will be relatively small and centering the object could be quite tricky. However, at the price, if any good, it's worth a punt. :smiley:

I have a pair of 15x70 from Celestron and to be honest I use them almost more than my telescope. The view is nice and sharp and they are handy to use. I would imagine that the 25x70 would be just as good... although as stated a nice sturdy tripod would make life a little easier for you.

Hi Crashtestdummy,

My plan is to use a tripod, so the size and weight won't be an isue.

I had to look twice at the price too.

http://www.amazon.co...oculars&x=0&y=0

i was actually thinking of the 25x100's for the price of these being cheap.

i personally would still go with something around15x70 and use your scope for anything else

I have a pair of Celestron 15x70's,and they tend to get used more than my 130mm scope,because they are just so convenient.I can hand hold them for short periods,but tend to use them mounted on a dirt cheap camera tripod(must pursuade the wife that I NEED to upgrade-lol!). I'd say that a tripod would be absolutely essential with x25 binos. My x15's have a FOV of 4.4 degrees (I'm guessing that it is around 3 degs for the x25's),so they are great for spotting brighter DSOs. P.S- I got mine via Amazon.

i was actually thinking of the 25x100's for the price of these being cheap.

i personally would still go with something around15x70 and use your scope for anything else

I have a pair of these, they're absolute monsters. They do give a nice view, but you'll need an extremely heavy duty tripod for them. I use a home-built parallelogram mount which works well - but takes up a lot of space (both in storage and in use).

I wouldn't recommend the 25x100s as being portable/grab-n-go, though; more something you set up and use from a static location.

I have the Skymaster 20x80 - I like them and use them alot. I'd personally recommend them over the 25x70. You also don't need to buy a replacement tripod adaptor. The only thing I can say and I think its true of all the Skymaster binoculars is that the case is rubbish. Apart from that no hesitation in recommending them.

I spent a while looking at tripods and I ended up spending a little more than most people would. I bought a Velbon CX 640 for £35. However, I would highly recommend it as its rock solid with my binoculars and I also use it with my Canon dSLR.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-640-Tripod-Way-Head/dp/B000KHPCEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347773870&sr=8-1

Archived