Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

PorkyB

Lets meet for a gaze

To help everyone get organised, can I suggest that if you are planning to be out at a specific place and time and would like company, you post the details here. Something along the lines of: "I am planning to be at <place> from <time> on <day>, feel free to come along, PM for directions..."

Anyone who might be interested can follow this topic (for those who haven't discovered this feature, click the "follow this topic" button at the top of the page and you will get an email whenever someone posts).

For safety's sake I wouldn't post precise location details, this is a public forum so anyone could be reading. SGL members can PM for location details.

With a bit of luck, and a little organisation, we might finally get to meet each other at a good site and do some sociable stargazing.

Nice 1 Porky, thanks for starting this post - its a little awkward to get everyone together at the same time but lets have a go Thanks Paul

Just remember not to give much info on the forum in public about where you'll be and at what time etc. Their are some pretty 'unfriendly' people out there, people who would love to get their hands on some lovely equipment. Try not to let ur guard down ;)

I'm just saying is all.

The weather for Friday night is looking a bit 50/50 at the moment, but if the weather is good who will be up for a session at the Chadwick End farm on Friday night? Just trying to get an idea of numbers at this stage, we can confirm details if the weather forecast looks more encouraging. The farmer will want £5 per person.

Any one wishing to come along PM me and will send the details of the site onto you.

This is a great idea, shame ive seen it too late, but would be interested in future events. Thinking of himley hall as i know the owner of golf course.

Himley Hall sounds good. Please let us know if you get anywhere with this.

Sorry that things here are being organised at such short notice but the weather forecasts only start to become reliable 48-24 hours in advance. If, like many people, you are only able to get out on a Friday or Saturday night then it's worth checking this forum from Friday and Saturday lunchtime, or setup email alerts.

Zimzimma

Himley sounds good, have you been there to check for lights etc? I'm up for a meet if access is ok

Not sure if the gates are closed at a certain time or it at Himley. I know the person who runs Himley (I do the official photos of the fireworks each year), I'll email her on Monday and see what she says about access, lights etc. I know the hall has lights to illuminate it but I don't know if they get switched off at a certain time. I'd be up for Himley, it's only 15 mins away for me :)

Well we once again took the gamble and ventured out on Friday night and we was all rewarded with a great clear sky from 11am when we arrived,right up until about 4.30am.

We went to a new location,a friends garden and we all had a great night.

I was trying my new Rigel out which i found a lot easier for me to use than the Telrad so i am now happy with my spotter.

Andy found some really pretty doubles and trebles,i just don't know how he does it :shocked: and we both found M37 which was a great sight to behold :grin:

Jupiter and its moons once again looked lovely as did Paliedes.

Our other friend was taking some great deep sky images on her new set up,which really looked the Bees knees, which i am really looking forward to seeing.

Hi Paulus, nice 1 I had to get up early Saturday morning for work, so I popped my little eyeballs outside the back garden at about 5.00am, was really surprised how clear it was in Rowley, Venus was well up in the East and blazin away, looked South and Orion was up over the houses, above was Taurus and Jupiter - very high - wait a couple of months when the nights begin to clear and I think in all my time gazin, I've never remembered Jupiter being so high up - its going to be a good apparition this year for Jupiter, can't wait to get the cpc and the webcam set up. Paul

Not sure if the gates are closed at a certain time or it at Himley. I know the person who runs Himley (I do the official photos of the fireworks each year), I'll email her on Monday and see what she says about access, lights etc. I know the hall has lights to illuminate it but I don't know if they get switched off at a certain time. I'd be up for Himley, it's only 15 mins away for me :)

Hi Daz, did you ever get the official take on Himley - not very far from me either (Stourbridge).

The forecast for Friday night (12th) is good, Saturday night may be good as well. So who wants to go out? Where?

I'm still going to Ratlinghope camp this weekend, all welcome.

Do let us know how you get on. I hope to join you if this is something that happens again, but family commitments limit my movements this weekend..

Good weekend had at Ratlinghope with Delsix, Friday about 3 hr clear sky and Saturday clear dusk till dawn but cold feet and ice on the gear stopped us about 1pm, ground a little wet but after this summer I am not suprised, light poll not quite as good as hoped for but still a lot less than Wolves, might suggest next one at a site with power just for comfort.

I know it's the other side of town, but the Aston Cantlow site has power. I now have my tent, ready for PSP, so should be able to join you next time.