SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

blue snowball- should I be able to see it?

Thnx guys, I had skEye but it wasn't listed on there so was using astro tools to get the coordinates, I probably didn't set it up right. Just bought skEye pro do hopefully I'll have more luck next time out, although last night will take some beating, it was fantastically clear here.

you should be able to see it for sure. it's an easy star hop from Mirach, more or less in a straight line from Mirach woth M31 about a third of the way along the hop. the three stars Lambda, Kappa and Iota should be obvious in the finder. I'd expect it to be obvious at about 100x or even less.

I've been able to see it quite well with my 4.7 inch refractor over the past few nights so your 10" should pick it up easily. I found the best view was at 150x - it's quite a small object. You can tell it's not stellar with less power than this though.

With my smallish aperture refractor the blue tint was very subtle at best. Looking forward to viewing this object with my 10" newtonian at the next opportunity :smiley:

Sunshine

This took me a while with my 10". I kept mistaking it for a star. Be careful where you know you should be. I've no doubt you've seen it, you just haven't recognised it. Look for the subtle colour.

Barry

Would it be a stretch to see the blue snowball in my 70mm refractor?

It would most likely just look like a pale blue star in a 70mm scope.

I have never seen it myself, but looking online at images of it, it really only starts to show detail in scopes over 12".

Other then this it appears as a bright blue star.

i first seen it with my old 90mm refractor. it become obvious when the stars are in focus and stellar like with one looking fuzzy. but thats all you'll have to recognise it. i dont recall much in the way of colour with small aperture. but a moonless night id say its doable imo.

Archived