Equitorial fork

gooseholla

I am thinking of building an equitorial fork for a 12 inch newtonian. (or similar) now, building the base to sit at c. 51/52 degrees seems something that even I can do! However, what do I need for the pole and forks, or similar mounting system? Don't want it buckling and breaking under the weight!

Or, should I just build an equitorial base and stick my meager attempt at a dob base on it?

If you want to go the DIY route then welded steel sections will be the order of the day - your local steel fabricator should be able to do the job for you. However I would suggest that a commercial mount may well work out cheaper and easier in the long run. I love DIY and have made my own scope and mount (nearly 40 years ago!) - when I came back in to the hobby, four or five years ago now, I soon realised that with the prices of imported scopes and mounts it simply wasn't worth the expense and effort of making my own any more. Unfortunately even the old and trusted iron water pipe fittings that I used to make my original mount are sadly no longer available (or at least very difficult to obtain for the amateur who just wants a few bits and pieces!).

Archived