Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Mez7000

Astro Planning Software

Hi All

I'm looking for some astro planning software for the PC.

Main aim is to create my own observing plans and then be able to print out and use for observation and then record my observations in the same program.

All recommendations greatly appreciated!

Have a look at AstroPlanner and DeepSky5.

www.astroplanner.net/

knightware.biz/dsp/index.php

I have AstroPlanner and find it is able to do almost anything I want except be able to enter non-fixed objects, such as during a night spent meteor hunting, ISS spotting. It is a bit quirky though in its "learning curve".

DeepSky5 looks pretty good and slightly easier at inputting simple observatiosn.

I will be interested in other responses as I am still open to change.

David

Paul's AstroPlanner gets my vote. A fantastic collection of databases available.

Couldn`t get Astroplanner to work on my win 7 laptop, kept freezing and I`m not alone judging by the AP Yahoo group.. Have to say I`m impressed with Deepsky 2011 from here http://www.deepskysoftware.net/ hasn`t let me down at all yet and drives the scope brilliantly.

Steve

Had trouble with astro planner so went for skytools3, runs well on win 7 and talks to my telescope

Odd that about AstroPlanner and W7. It runs on my W7 laptop no problem. I don't remember having to do anything particularly strenuous to get it to work :icon_scratch:

Thanks for the advise, I'm just trying out Skytools 3, have also got astroplanner on my W7 laptop and works ok sometimes get issues when closing down but otherwise works well.

Ultimately what I'm looking for, as I'm a bit of a haphazard astronomer is a simple list that i can create, with say 4-5 objects that I can then work to and view, at the mo I tend to go out find something then stumble around the night sky trying to find things and then going back indoors frustrated as I've not really found anything!