SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easy way to find Uranus

Moonshane

Hi all, asking for it with the title but thought this might help others looking for this little greenish disk at the minute and struggling a bit, especially if like me you suffer from the dreaded LP and cannot even see the circle of Pisces with naked eyes.

First thing is find the square of Pegasus - easy - big open square of stars approx east. It's actually more like a diamond at the minute.

Looking at a star map find Alpheratz and jump to Algenib. jump again the same distance (approx south east) in a straight line, from Algenib. move the scope left (north) a little bit - just a nudge. you should now be in the right area and if you look in your optical finder you'll hopefully see an obvious right angle of 'stars'. the 'star' at the right angle is Uranus. look in your eyepiece when centred and you should see a greenish disk even at relatively low powers. hope this helps.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it pretty easily for the first time this weekend, I used Omega Piscium in addition to Algenib to further refine the search. It's a fairly straightforward line from Omega Psc to locate Uranus. I did struggle to see any moons though, think I saw one fleetingly.

I found both Uranus and Neptune easily with 10x50 binos a few nights back simply by referring to Stellarium on my laptop at kitchen table whilst sanderling outside to star hop to them (did this at the end of my observing session so that I didn't need to preserve dark adaption for DSO's). For both planets I started from stars in Pegasus and star hopped from there.

I've hardly done any night-time imaging for ages. I've been waiting for Jupiter to make it around to the right side of the house at a convenient hour. I might have to have a go at Uranus on our next clear night.

James

Something to note, which might help to find it. Uranus is approaching the star 44 Piscium (Mag +5.8).

On 23/24 September Uranus is going to be at it`s closest at about one arcminute separation!

That's the way I found it last night. Line up on 44 Piscium and left a bit :)

James

I also cheated and used GoTo. But I've no appropriate eyepiece to observe it visually so only took a 30 s exposure to see it for the first time. I was surprised and pleased to see a hint of what appears to be its moon, Titania. A very fuzzy blob of few pixels in size.

I cheated and used goto :(, plonked it right in the centre of a 0.5° fov. Would have struggled to find it manually with the mak.

Couldn't find Neptune, that's my next challenge.

Stu

I must admit, to find Neptune I used goto but still had to use a finder chart to actually be sure it was the right star field. Then the magnification can be cranked up.

Archived