M33

gooseholla

This galaxy I have wanted for a long time, probably ever since I started astronomy 5 years ago. Could never find it. However, during a break in the clouds, fired the telrad up, moved up towards andromeda and there it was. Was a really strange feeling to finally bag it. However, perhaps, in some ways, a disappointing object. It is rather large but rather faint. Nothing really stands out that shows it to be a galaxy, except a slightly brighter central area. Was more like a light patch in the sky than any kind of detailed galaxy. Hoping to view again when the clouds are gone, with a lower power EP, to see if I get any different impressions of the object.

Really pleased to have found this though after all this time! Perseverance does pay off.

I knew what you mean about this one. It's visible in binos and I've seen in my 106mm from dark sites but it never appears anything other than a general brightening of the sky, with a bit of a core. It's very large with low surface brightness so gets washed out easily.

Still pleased to see it when I do though

Stu

Yet to see this one myself but looking forward to the challenge of getting the spiral arms.

I've picked this galaxy to do comparison sketches between my current 12" f/5 and my 16" f/4.5 when it arrives, should be interesting. :)

There's a couple of galaxies to the back of Pegagsus at the moment worth checking out;

NGC7479: barred spiral

NGC7331 plus satellites 7335,7337.(Stephen's quintet.

Bit further to M31 is the fabulous Blue Snowball NGC7662; got this in a 102 refractor, it's bright and colourful,

Nick.

Well done, m33 is a bit of a thorn in my side, I've tried using various bits of kit at different locations and not spotted it yet. I think I once got a hint of it using bins, but it wasn't convincing enough to record it as seen.

The council have started turning off streetlights late at night where I live so I'm planning on staying out late one night and taking advantage to try to see it then, fingers crossed.

Yet to see this one myself but looking forward to the challenge of getting the spiral arms.

I've picked this galaxy to do comparison sketches between my current 12" f/5 and my 16" f/4.5 when it arrives, should be interesting. :)

Given that with a 14" (in a fairly dark sky) I can see the arms and various knotty features the view through the 16" should be impressive... :smiley:

James

Archived