What material for telescope tube?

trj

For building a cheap Dobsonian, what materials could I use for the tube? (preferably that I can buy online in the UK...)

I have an 8" f/8 mirror and other hardware which I'd like to mount in a new tube on a simple Dobsonian base.

I'm aiming for low cost and simplicity.

eBay has sellers of 254mm x 1500mm "postal tubes" which are rigid cardboard, but I'm concerned what a dewy night might do to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400291202734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Would a PVC tube be better? And if so, where could I find a supply for 10" tubes?

Thanks.

I had one for a little while that was made out of the cardboard tube that carpets come rolled round. It had been gloss painted and was 20 years old!

You could probably get the tube for free from your local carpet shop...

TheThing

hi there

it just so happens i have some 8 inch pvc tube 4mm wall thickness and currently in the middle of a dob project this tube diameter will be suitable for a 6 inch mirror.if your interested let me know

ps l live in scotland so there will be carriage

regards chazbear

Archived