Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Jupiterholic

67 pane Gibbous Waning Moon

Here's my latest lunar mosaic from the morning of 6th September. 67 panes shot through a red filter between 12.50 and 2.30am. Followed by several hours of processing and manually stitching together using photoshop. I'm still knackered two days later.

If the picture takes ages to load or you feel brave enough to view it full size (be warned, its massive) click here: http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

67panewaninggibbousmoon.jpg

• Like 2

That's a serious bit of effort. Brilliant!

Now that is a really good mosaic, superbly done, how do you get your focus so sharp?

Really nice image, seamless and really sharp focus. Thanks for posting

Stu

how do you get your focus so sharp?

Practice I guess. I use an electric focuser which reduces the chance of the image wobble you'd usually get by direct contact with the focusing knob. But you still have to know where the right focus sweet spot is, but using 2 buttons on a handset instead of twiddling a focuser. Plus seeing was pretty good that night and the red filter really helps the clarity on the final captures.

Thanks for the comments all. :smiley:

That's fantastic, I did a 21 panel mosaic and that took long enough. 67 - now that's dedication :grin:

Great result, well worth your efforts.

That's fantastic, I did a 21 panel mosaic and that took long enough. 67 - now that's dedication :grin:

hmmm..dedication or obsession. The line is starting to blur for me when it comes to the moon :p

hmmm..dedication or obsession. The line is starting to blur for me when it comes to the moon :p

Dedication, Obsession Divorce. It's evolution in a timescale we can all understand :grin:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Matt Hayden
      Hello!
      What with all this locking down business and home schooling my ten year old son, I have dusted off my TAL-1 and created a slightly less than ideal setup in his room. The westward facing window has been providing great views of the moon and venus over the past week. Obviously doing this indoors is not great (the floor is pretty solid, as is the TAL stand!) but it does mean we get to use the scope every evening, rather than going through the process of carrying the whole rig outside every day.

I have a T-mount converter for my old-ish Pentax k-M DSLR, but have quite disappointing results with the camera, when compared to the observed image using the eye. The eyeball view is nothing less than banging - crystal clear detail with a 25mm eyepiece, strong contrast - it's spectacular. I add the camera with an eyepiece inside a tube, and can't replicate the same result, or anything like it. It's OK, but not good enough.
      I've cleaned the eyepiece today and collimated the scope. The primary mirror looks fine other than a couple of tiny dust particles, no scratches or weirdness on the coating. The camera is working pretty well as far as I can tell. Apart from a little clumsy-ness with the adjustments, the clarity in the eyepiece suggests it's all working fairly well. Photo attached of best result from last night.
      My question is: is this a focusing issue or some sort of aberration? Should I expect focusing to be difficult in the camera eyepiece? What's going on?! Does anyone have any other tips I can try to get this working better?

• By johnno0015
      An image created by the NASA visualisation studio of what a lunar eclipse would look like from the surface of the moon! Pretty cool right? If you want to get a better understanding of what is happening and why, you can checkout this article HERE which goes into the theory behind it all and also shows you what a solar eclipse would look like from the surface of the moon. 

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      yesterday evening after doing the sketch of the three-day old moon, we had a wonderful twilight scene with Venus and the Moon over here.
      So I did a pastel sketch how I recalled it afterwards:

Clear skies!
      Achim
    • By JoshHopk
      Hello all,
      This is my first post on SL, so please correct me if I have started this topic in the wrong place. I am also relatively new to astrophotography, so please ignore my naivety!
      I had some clear skies last week, so decided to do some lunar imaging with my new(ish) ASI224MC. I captured my frames in SharpCap as RAW24 AVI files, stacked in AS!2 and processed in Registax and Photoshop. When i got to sharpening in Photoshop, I noticed a sort of mosaic pattern over the image, which took away from some of the detail, and really ruined the image the more I sharpened. I did a quick search and it turned up with 'debayering'. This is a completely new concept to me and all of my attempts didn't seem to improve the image at all (perhaps I was debayering in the wrong order?). I have attached some images and also my some of my SharpCap settings in case they are of help.  
      COLOUR SPACE: RAW24
      CAPTURE ARE: 1304x976
      OUTPUT FORMAT: AVI files (*.avi)
      EXPOSURE: 0.29ms
      GAIN: 282
      Thank you in advance
      Regards, Josh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.