The Pocket Sky Atlas

Might as well confuse myself some more :)

As a beginer the The Pocket Sky Atlas by phillips seems to be a good start for locating in the night sky what do you guys think or is there something better you can advise

Good book, i use mine a lot

I would also recommend a Planisphere - they're great for starting out in Astronomy but are still also very useful when you get more experienced as a quick tool for finding when and where an object you're interested in is going to be visible.

S & T Pocket Sky Atlas is the one I use, I think it is an excellent format and has helped me find plenty of objects.

I also use Stephen O'Meara's Deep Sky Companions: The Messier Objects which I think is great. Very interesting to read, and all black and white photos and sketches done whilst using a 4" apo from a very dark site. It means that he shows detail which is reasonable for us mortals to view with say an 8" from average skies.

Cheers

Stu

TL@O is better when you have no idea on how to find objects. It's like having a private tutor getting you through that initial learning curve. It was a big help for me but now it stays in a shelf.

Pocket Sky Atlas is a collection of charts that includes about every object you can find with up to about 12" aperture. So it's pretty much the book you keep on your EP case, always ready, no matter how long you been doing this.

S & T Pocket Sky Atlas is the one I use, I think it is an excellent format and has helped me find plenty of objects.

I also use Stephen O'Meara's Deep Sky Companions: The Messier Objects which I think is great. Very interesting to read, and all black and white photos and sketches done whilst using a 4" apo from a very dark site. It means that he shows detail which is reasonable for us mortals to view with say an 8" from average skies.

Cheers

Stu

Snap, I use exactly the same combo. I alos have Sky Atlas 2000.0 but rarely use it since I discovered Sky Charts and Stellarium. PSA is a relatively recent addition for me after seeing it recommended time and again on here. Have to say I rarely go out without it now.

I find the pocket atlas a bit small so I use SkyAtlas2000, a large format atlas. I also like to print out dedicated finder charts from my softare planetarium, SkyMap Pro, but you can do this from Stellarium as well, I guess.

For visual use I don't want a computer near my scope however dim and red-covered it is.

Olly

Just to add to your confusion, If you are using binoculars there is a very user friendly star map program called TUBA, can be found at the head of the Bins Section, you can configure star maps to what you want, then print off to use in the field, colour or black and white :)

John.

I use TL@O, the s&T pocket atlas (very clear maps and easy to keep in EP case or take on holiday), the Cambridge Star Atlas ( lots of good charts, moon maps and tables) and Stellarium. I can recommend them all but would get TL@O and the S&T pocket guide first.

Archived