Lunar mountain chain - Montes Apenninus

Leebert

I was capturing a collection of shots to make a mosaic (a first for me) and saw this near the terminator. I popped in a 3x Tal barlow and this is the result.

The chain is approximately 600Km long with peaks rising to 5Km high. The crater in the bottom left corner is Eratosthenes which is 58Km across. The small crater behind the mountain range (right and below centre) is, I believe, unnamed and is approximately 9Km across.

7955143350_18c02cc110_z.jpg

Mountains on the Moon by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Sorry, I omitted to add the equipment. It was taken with a QHY5 mono camera on a Skywatcher 200p mounted on an unguided HEQ5 Pro. The image run was 500 frames and it was stacked using Registax 5.1. The final image has been lightened and cropped slightly.

Thats a great image. I have been trying to capture those mountains for a while but showing depth seems to be difficult. The x3 seems to have worked really well and no loss of quality. I will keep trying.

Archived